1. EDU 590 CHAPTER 11: Generating and Testing Hypotheses “Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works.”by Howard Pitler, Elizabeth R. Hubbell, Matt Kuhn and Kim Malenoski Central Michigan University
2. Chapter Eleven – Generating and Testing Hypotheses Planning Question: Suggested Technology:Which Strategies Will Help 3. Spreadsheet Software Students 4. Data Collection Tools Practice, 5. Web Resources Review, and Apply Learning? Learning Strategies:Generating and Testing Hypotheses
3. Chapter Eleven – Generating and Testing HypothesesGenerating and Testing Hypotheses: McREL’s research supports the following generalizations:4.Can be approached with either an inductive or deductivemanner.5.Teachers should ask students clearly explain theirhypotheses and conclusions. Image Curtsey of Microsoft Clipart and Media
4. Chapter Eleven – Generating and Testing HypothesesGenerating and Testing Hypotheses: McREL’s Recommendations:3.Make sure that students can explain their hypotheses andconclusions.4.Use a variety to tasks to guide students throughgenerating and testing their hypotheses. Image Curtsey of Microsoft Clipart and Media
5. Chapter Eleven – Generating and Testing Hypotheses Planning Question: Spreadsheet Software:Which Strategies Spreadsheets are used for making Will Help informed predictions, collecting data, Students analyzing data for patterns, and revisingPractice, Review, hypotheses. and Apply ◦ Teachers can create interactive spreadsheets Learning? so students can manipulate it, this doesn’t Learning waste class time for learning how to create Strategies: spreadsheets.Generating and Students can then turn their data into Testing graphs to interpret and check Hypotheses hypotheses.
6. Chapter Eleven – Generating and Testing Hypotheses Planning Question: Data Collection Tools:Which Strategies Allows students to generate and test Will Help hypotheses. Students ◦ Allows students to identify similarities andPractice, Review, differences and create a nonlinguistic and Apply representation. Learning? Allows students to see patterns Learning which allows them to form a Strategies: hypotheses, collect data then reviseGenerating and previous hypotheses. Testing Hypotheses
7. Chapter Eleven – Generating and Testing Hypotheses Planning Question: Web Resources:Which Strategies Allow to test hypotheses by creating Will Help virtual situations that would be Students impossible to do in real life.Practice, Review, ◦ Smog City (www.smogcity.com) and Apply ◦ NASA SCIence Files Problem Board ( Learning? http://whyfiles.larc.nasa.gov/treehouse.html Learning ) Strategies: ◦ NOVA Building Big (Generating and www.pbs.org/wgbh/buildingbig) Testing ◦ Primary Access (www.primaryaccess.com) Hypotheses ◦ Explore Learning ( www.explorelearning.com), etc.