1. Open Innovation as a new public management toolEconomic AffairsKatalin Gallyas – Policy Advisor Open Innovationgallyas@ez.amsterdam.nl
2. Open Innovation = High Level User Involvement “is the use of purposive inflows and outflows of knowledge to accelerate internal innovation, and expand the markets forexternal use of innovation, respectively.” Prof. Henry Chesbrough
3. Example The market does it already….
5. Nokia’s Idea Project
6. 200.000 apps developed by the ‘crowd’ For the extension of the functionalities of Iphone, Ipads, Ipods
7. Why Open Innovation for Public Services? Public bodies are significant spenders on products and services and yet are often distant from the most dynamic processes in our economy Closing Innovation GAP Theory=Innovation stagnates in EU because of - lack of funding - market fragmentation - not enough process- and organizational innovation, just mainly on technological driven innovation is being focused in the EU (EIIT, European Institute for Innovation and Technology )
8. Open Government • Barack Obama proclaimed in his first speech to his administration his desire for open government • “A clear commitment changing the way government works with its citizens: Government should be transparent, participatory and collaborative”.Citizens = customers for public services
9. Ingredients of Government 2.0 (Open innovation based) • Engaged, active, creative citizens • Web based user involvement through platforms • Government as a marketplace, platform operator • Intermediaries • New Business models • Collaborative Government i/o directive • Civic Innovator Network • Highly efficient procurement (contest based)
10. Intermediaries U.S.
11. Intermediaries Amsterdam Were implementing a common project:
12. Some important O.I Results
13. O.I platforms from Amsterdam
14. 3 EU projects adress O.I. Commons 4 EU City Service Development Toolkit
15. Data Visualisation
16. The Challenges Political Leadership on Open Innovation is missing Emerging new topic, Lack of testified new business models Market on O.I intermediaries is rapidly changing (how to keep up?)• Misconception of O.I as the same as use ofSocial media
17. Thank You Katalin Gallyas email@example.com