• Excellent B2B and B2C networking tool
• Great potential for building relationships
– Directly with customers
– Good examples Beaut.ie, Blacknight.ie, kogibbq
• Good listening tool
– What is being said about you and most importantly are you hearing
• Easy to engage with customers
– Reach out to them and resolve issues and improve service to them
– Opportunity to convey a personal dimension rather than marketing
• Has become mainstream over 2009/2010
– 1400% growth over past 12 months
• Effective way of building community and improving SEO
• Common Blogging Platforms
– WordPress, Type Pad, Bloggers, Blogspot
• Excellent way of engaging with readers
– Inform followers what is of interest to you
• Can use an informal style
– Show human face of organisation
• Participate in wider conversations
– Leave comments, interact, generate interest, etc..
• Search Engines
– Love regularly updated content
• Now MNCs are encouraging employees to Blog and engage
with social media
– IBM, Dell, Intel and Cisco
• Connect to your most important keywords.
– Important for Search Engine Optimisation
• Grow the number of influential referral sites.
– Critical to get authoritative inbound links to your site
• Don’t forget the outbound links.
– Be generous with links to other blogs and websites and others will return the favor
and build your traffic for you.
• Understand the location of your audience.
– Comparing the geographical distribution of your blog to your company’s website
should give you a sense of whether your blog is hitting with the same areas of the
world as your website. It could also reveal potential new areas of focus for your
• Measure endurance.
– Measure return visitor and length of time spent on site
Blogging Tips cont.
• Find and nurture your VIPs.
– Make sure you respond to key people – thos who subsribe and comment
• Use Twitter for blog PR.
– If Twitter isn’t one of your highest-ranking referral sites, you’re not using it
• Use URL shorteners to gauge subject interest.
– UseURL shortener like bit.ly within a Tweet, you can track how many people click
on the content link you offer in your tweets.
• Build cross-referencing across social media tools.
– No social media tool is an island. All tools should cross-reference each other – don’t
necessarily re-publish the same content on each platform
• Embed and measure calls to action. If we can get people to a landing page, we should.
• Very useful marketing tool
– Old Spice, Tippex, Blendtec etc..
– User-generated content
• Run competitions for customers to build content (see Pat The
• Best Job in the World etc..
• Extending digital footprint and brand-building
– Create engaging content, tag videos with keywords and
distribute on a wide network
– Post all content and video blogs on your website and
distribute on free video sharing sites