• Internet users spend 9.9 percent of their time perusing
Facebook compared to 9.6 for Google Sites (YouTube,
Gmail, Search, Etc..)
• In 2009 Facebook accounted for less than five percent of
overall time spent online in the U.S., and today it
accounts for 10 percent
• Interactive B2B and B2C communication platform
• Effective way of building community and improving SEO
• Common Blogging Platforms
– WordPress, Type Pad, Blogger
• Excellent way of provding thought leadership
– Publish professioanl content which is of interest to you and community
• Can be used to educate, inform and entertain readers
• Opportunity for organisation to use an informal communication
– Show human face of organisation
• Participate in wider conversations, build community and dialogue
– Leave comments, interact, promote interest, etc..
• Search Engines
– Regularly updated content
– Build Links
– Develop Keyword strategies
• Connect to your most important keywords.
– Important for Search Engine Optimisation
• Grow the number of influential referral sites.
– Critical to get authoritative inbound links to your site
• Create outbound links using relevant anchor text
– Be generous with links to other blogs and websites and others will return the favor
and build your traffic for you.
• Understand the location of your audience.
– Comparing the geographical distribution of your blog to your company’s website
should give you a sense of whether your blog is hitting with the same areas of the
world as your website. It could also reveal potential new areas of focus for your
• Measure endurance.
– Measure return visitor and length of time spent on site
Blogging Tips cont.
• Find and nurture your most important readers and constituents
– Make sure you respond to key people – thos who subsribe and comment
• Use Twitter and Facebook to promote blog
– If Twitter isn’t one of your highest-ranking referral sites, you’re not using it
– Monitor conversations on both Facebook and Twitter
• Use URL shorteners to gauge subject interest.
– UseURL shortener like bit.ly within a Tweet, you can track how many people click
on the content link you offer in your tweets (Use Vanity Urls)
• Build cross-referencing across social media tools.
– No social media tool is an island. Tools should cross-reference each other – But
don’t necessarily re-publish the same content on each platform
• Embed and measure calls to action. If we can get people to a landing page, we should.
• Excellent B2B networking tool
• Great potential for building relationships
– Directly with customers
– Good examples Beaut.ie, Blacknight.ie, kogibbq
• Good listening tool
– What is being said about you and most importantly are you hearing
• Easy to engage with customers
– Reach out to them and resolve issues and improve service to them
– Opportunity to convey a personal dimension rather than marketing
• Has become mainstream over 2009/2010
– 1400% growth over past 12 months
• Very useful marketing tool
– Old Spice, Tippex, Blendtec etc..
– User-generated content
• Run competitions for customers to build content (see Pat The
• Best Job in the World etc..
• Extending digital footprint and brand-building
– Create engaging content, tag videos with keywords and
distribute on a wide network
– Post all content and video blogs on your website and
distribute on free video sharing sites