EDU614 Session 5
AT & iPads
Plus - Last set of tools for the classroom
- some are really fun!
• Introduction to Assistive Technology and Augmentative
• QR codes
• Glogster - one I pay for
• Vimeo & flipped classroom
• Please save your powerpoint to slideshare, then post to
your blog on the ning.
• 15 - 20 minute presentation
• Detailed written plan on classroom use
• Email or hard copy (will not be returned)
First a ning used with 7th grader students
from the ELA teacher:
It is most commonly used for sharing my flipped classroom
videos as well as a platform for students to blog and get
feedback on their writing. Right now many kids are posting
on the peers' Defining Moment Personal Narrative blogs and
in the next few weeks we'd like to add a multimedia piece
and start working on digital portfolios.
We, as a teachers, have also tried to use the site to model
effective feedback and the important role that collaboration
plays in the writing process. The kids very much enjoy that
their writing can be made public and it's built a nice
community within the room too.
• Online storage of documents
• Access from any computer
• syncs wherever you work
• if you want to sign up, let me invite you
• UDL based on neuroscience
• each principle connects to key area of brain
• Multiple Means of Representation
• To increase recognition
• How a teacher prepares
• Multiple Means of Expression
• To expand strategic output
• Teacher plans for how students will express learning
• Multiple Means of Engagement
• To enhance involvement in learning
• How do we get students connected?
• Like RTI Technology has levels too
• Level 1 - For everyone
• Level 2 - Greater access
• Level 3 - Assistive support
• Allows manipulation and control of format
• Offers alternatives for access
• Supports multi-sensory instruction
• Supports greater personal independence
• Educational technology & assistive technology are a
continuum of access to learning.
• Students have a right to the same text
• Publishers are supposed to produce
• CAST has a center for AIM
• What does the student need to do to participate in the
classroom and achieve his/her IEP goals?
• What specifically is the student having difficulty with?
• What else has been tried?
• What will be the the criteria for determining the student’s
• Who will be responsible for training, monitoring,
documenting, and reviewing the AT plan?
• All students with a 504 or an IEP are eligible
• Assistive Technology has to be considered
• Not all qualify
• IEP is written first, then look at questions
• S - Student First
• E - Environment
• T - Task
• T - Tool
• Joy Zabala - SETT Framework
• What does the student need to do?
• What are the student’s special needs?
• What are the student’s current abilities?
• What materials and equipment are currently available in
• What is the physical arrangement?
• What is the instructional arrangement?
• Are there likely to be changes?
• Color is a powerful tool
• What activities take place in the environment?
• What are the critical elements of the activities?
• How might technology support the student’s active
participation in those activities?
• FINAL step
• What no tech, low tech, and high tech options should be
considered when developing a system for a student with
these needs and abilities doing these tasks in these
• What strategies might be used to invite increased student
• How might these tools be tried out with the student in the
• Fact Sheets - wonderful resource sheets on
Assistive Technology and Augmentative
Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
has awesome links to information, resources and
• CAST - Center for Applied Special Technology
• Easter Seals - allows teachers to try out technology
• MassMatch - initiative to get assistive
technology to people who need it
• FREE to borrow from ATRC Assistive
Technology Regional Centers.
National Center to Improve
Practice in Special Education
• NCIP - through technology, media and materials
Accessibility in the
• Accessibility features in Microsoft products
• Includes tutorials
• UDL toolkit wiki
• Please spend some time looking at the
• graphic organizers
• study skills
National Center on UDL
• National Center
• Examples & Resources
• Every principle is linked to resources & tools
iPad - a game
• FreeTech4Teachers - iPad Apps for Education
• Steve Jobs & Apps for Autism
• 60 Minutes
• Teaching Learners with Special Needs
• Free Speech app
• a blog post how iPad is used in a special education
• A Blog Post listing many apps
• Apps Store has Special Education section
• and our friend Cybrary man’s list
• A handout for using iPad in the Special Education
More on the iPad
• Live Binders on iPad in Schools - a
tremendous amount of material
• Mr. G Blog iPads, Web tools, math
• a CNN report
• App Smackdown
• iPad Apps in School great site by Richard
Even more on the
• ipads in the classroom - Kathy Schrock
• Moms with apps blog
• Smart Apps for Kids
• my Pinterest board on iPad
• blog, apps review, resources
Tell a story with pictures
• Upload pictures
• Make a slide show
• Students can upload projects
• Easy way to share work
QR codes• What are those squares of black & white?
• How would I use them?
• Go to this glog to learn
• Hover over text to see link
• The Periodic Table using QR codes
• A Live Binder on QR codes
• All the tabs are links
• 20 Interesting Ways to Use QR Codes to Support Learning
• Another visual tool
• links to other sites
• a blog post: the fun continues
• An elementary math example
• Middle & High School math
• My students favorite!
• Interactive poster
• can link documents or webpages
• can be embedded into wiki or blog
• UDL toolkit
• Easy to use video sharing website
• Great for flipped classroom
• lectures/ instruction on video
• “work” in class with support
• Flipped Classroom network
• A three part article by “inventors”
• Modular Object Oriented Dynamic Learning Environment
• Open source
• can be downloaded on one computer
• hosted on a server
• One stop shop
• forums, blogs, wikis, lessons, activities, links, easy
• My Classes
• Analyze writing pieces
• Fun display
More Word Clouds
• a little fancier
• A blog post about 9 more word cloud generators
• Try a few!
•text to audio
•voki for education
• text to video
• education safe
• The Golden Ratio
• Not free, but a 14 day free trial
• Both can be embedded
• Both are addicting - try one.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.