1. How to use social media for travel SEO Kevin Gibbons, Director of Strategy -‐ twi>er.com/kevgibbo @kevgibbo
2. “Social media is changing the face of travel”
3. Social Media vs Search – who to trust? 90% of consumers trust recommendations from people they know… 70% still trust online consumer opinions from people they don’t know! 41% trust search engine results * Nielsen – July, 2009
4. But how does this inﬂuence SEO? Here’s some ideas on how to use social media to impact your search strategy…
5. Twi>er – ﬁnd journalists/bloggers
6. AcPon: Use relevant hashtags & Jounalisted
7. Video – universal search results
8. AcPon: Distribute to mulPple channels
9. Facebook – search isn’t just Google
10. AcPon: Build great/shareable content
11. Images – universal/image search
12. AcPon: encourage users to credit you = links!
13. Reviews – Improve Seller Extension RaPngs
14. AcPon: IncenPvize users to leave reviews e.g. Oﬀer 10% discount to returning hotel customers who leave a review
15. Blogging – become an authority = links!
16. AcPon: Build relaPonships online Connect with authority bloggers by: • InteracPng on Twi>er – sharing content, @replies, #followfriday’s etc… • Linking out – get there a>enPon by linking to them – and use their name/brand, they’ll probably spot it in Google Alerts. • CommenPng on relevant blogs – adding value to a discussion of course!
17. Social media bookmarking – traﬃc & links
18. AcPon: Use great images/infographics
19. Forums – targeted links & traﬃc
20. AcPon: Don’t spam – build a trusted proﬁle
21. Flowtown – ﬁnd customers social proﬁles
22. AcPon: turn customers into brand advocates
23. Social signals – boost topical/QDF rankings?
24. AcPon: Being ﬁrst is very important
25. Catch users early in buying cycle via social
26. AcPon: Give users a reason to return to inﬂuence personalised search via brand queries
27. Recap – so how does this impact SEO? • Search isn’t just Google organic - changing search trends/habits means you can’t ignore social, e.g. Facebook, YouTube, Tripadvisor searches• Universal search – travel generates high volume of video/images results• Target users at earlier research stage in buying cycle – so that they return via brand query, this is likely to impact personalised search results• Links! Great potential to strengthen backlink profile with targeted/relevant links• Social signals – more social buzz = better search rankings?
28. Thank you Please subscribe to: www.seopPmise.com/blog And follow me on Twi>er: @kevgibbo