Lesson Title Subject Area Grade Level Unit Title Benchmarks
Birthday Graph Math Second Graphing/Pictograph Review/Introduction
Objectives Hook for students Assessment
To make a Make your own Bar graph
pictograph of the birthday cake worksheet.
birthday’s in our
Sequence of Activities
1. 15 minutes (Day 1) - Each student will receive a blank template of a birthday cake. They
may decorate the cake any way they would like.
2. Collect the cakes when complete. Teacher will clearly label the cakes w/ students’
birthdays, and laminate.
3. Using a large wall in the classroom, make a banner with the title “Our Birthday Graph”, and
also label the months of the year. Arrange the completed cakes in a bar graph.
4. (Day 2) – When the birthday graph is complete, study the graph with the students. Go
over each month and count the birthdays – point out similarities and differences. Talk
about ‘least’, ‘most’, ‘equal’, zero.
5. 20-25 minutes – Hand out the birthday graph worksheet and allow students to complete
individually. Monitor completion and offer assistance when/where needed.
Teacher Created Handouts
Birthday cake template
Birthday graph worksheet
Quality Student Sample
2 samples attached