Steps To Success Presents NewPresentation Transcript
Steps To Success presents How to use
Who we are
Diane Young - Certified Empowerment Coach, Her practice, The LYF Experience ( L ove Y ourself F irst) focuses on personal and professional development. She is the founder and facilitator of The Unemployed Optimists a support and networking group whose mission is to inspire and motivate people in career transition.
Kenneth Lang has extensive IT experience most recently as a social media Project Manager. He has consulted with small and large businesses on how to use LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter. Kenneth is also active with the Mahwah Chamber of Commerce.
Kenneth Lang and Diane Young help companies develop their LinkedIn presence through hands-on training sessions.
What is LinkedIn?
LinkedIn is a business networking website that business professionals use for personal and professional growth.
With its recent IPO, LinkedIn is more relevant than ever before.
We will discuss how LinkedIn can benefit you as a business owner.
We will allow time for Q/A at the end of the presentation.
Your goals and LinkedIn
If you are not on LinkedIn, you are significantly reducing your chances of finding business.
If you are on LinkedIn and you don’t know what you’re doing with your on-line presence, then you may as well not be on LI.
What are your goals?
Your business goals
Grow your business
Market your business
Find resources that your business needs
Hire for your business
Tips for goal achievement
Keep track of your progress to see if you are meeting your goals .
Stay focused and avoid distractions .
Re-evaluate periodically and be flexible about making adjustments.
Market Your Business
Business to business professionals are connecting with each other on LinkedIn.
People you have worked with could be singing your praises on LinkedIn.
Use LinkedIn to find the right contacts.
Build a profile of yourself, what you do, who you work for, etc.
It is worth spending some time completing your profile, because you never know who will find you – a business contact, former colleagues, prospects, potential employees and customers.
Top 10 LinkedIn Tips
Drum roll, please!!!!
LinkedIn Tip - #1
1) Your photo – Always include a picture in your profile. It humanizes you and makes you seem more approachable.
LinkedIn Tip - #2
2) URL – Always customize the URL to be your name or something memorable.
Diane’s is http:// www.linkedin.com/in/lyfcoachdianeyoung
LinkedIn Tip - #3
3) Be proactive - Once on LinkedIn don’t sit back and wait for something to happen.
LinkedIn Tip - #4
4) Requesting Connections – Always customize your invitation when you ask people to join your network. Include how they know you, how you can benefit them by being a part of their network, and even how you hope to work with them in the future. Leaving the default message says “You’re not important enough for me to customize this to you” or worse “You sent this to 200 people and are probably going to spam my network.”
LinkedIn Tip - #5
5) Accepting Connection Request – Each time you get a request to connect either accept it, ignore it or report as SPAM. Do not choose the ‘report as SPAM’ option.
LinkedIn Tip - #6
6) Email address – If you’re going to use your work e-mail address, always put your personal e-mail address on your profile as backup just in case you leave a company or business.
LinkedIn Tip - #7
7) Export EVERYTHING – Export your contacts periodically so you have a hard copy backup with a comma-separated value (CSV file). You also should email your contact list to your another account (like Gmail or Yahoo!) for double backup.
LinkedIn Tip - #8
8) Recommendations – Ask for recommendations after you do great work. Give your colleagues recommendations when they do great work. Be willing to revise them.
LinkedIn Tips - #9
9) Answers – Using the LinkedIn Answers section, answer questions in your field to establish yourself as an expert or go-to person for a specific need.
LinkedIn Tip - #10
10) Using LinkedIn Groups – Join appropriate LinkedIn groups and be part of different conversations occurring in each. An example of an appropriate LinkedIn group is the New Jersey Accounting & Finance Professionals Network .
Using LinkedIn is a process that takes time to master
Try not to feel overwhelmed
Connecting on LinkedIn should never be a substitute for in-person networking
Steps to Success offerings
We offer group and individual sessions on how to maximize LinkedIn.
Our job is to give you the tools for business growth and success. Your job should be to implement those tools.
We appreciate the opportunity to present the basics of LinkedIn to you