Use a white wall and a camera (even a webcam works). Picture should look professional, not with your kid or your dog.
Transcript of "LinkedIn best practices for Small Business owners - CareerNetworkingUSA"
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 1
Kenneth Lang and Rich Heckelmann present
How to use
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 2
• Kenneth Lang has extensive IT experience most recently as a social media Project
Manager, most recently at The New York Times and at Mars Global Services. He has
consulted with small and large businesses on how to use LinkedIn, Facebook and
Twitter. Kenneth is also active with the North Jersey Chamber of Commerce.
• At Mars, I developed SharePoint best practices for management and vendors. At The
New York Times I coordinated digital business strategies for the International Herald
Tribune, the global edition of the newspaper.
• As a member of the Chamber’s ambassadors committee I’ve been tasked with working
with small business owners on developing business plans and social media
campaigns, while building client relationships. Hope to see everyone at a future
networking event after tonight.
Rich Heckelmann Bio
•Rich is a visionary marketing executive with exceptional proficiency in
marketing strategy formulation and product management built in the high
technology industry. Rich has led, managed, and optimized product and
program management functions for Hewlett-Packard, Kyocera and
Panasonic North America, Brother and Toshiba. His accomplishments
include growing revenues through development, marketing and launch of
worlds first new technology products.
•Rich has a entrepreneurial mindset and program execution skills refined
through leadership roles involving continuous collaboration with business
executives driving processes and effecting positive change.
•Rich is also a founder and CMO of the CareerNetworkUSA startup which
is creating a career networking tools for life. Rich is trained in Project
Management and Lean Six Sigma with a focus on new technology
marketing. Rich is a Graduate of Roger Williams University, 32 year
resident of Wayne NJ and lives with his wife son and daughter in
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 3
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 4
What is LinkedIn?
• LinkedIn is a business networking website that
business professionals use for personal and
• LinkedIn is a tool used by job seekers, recruiters
and hiring managers.
• I will discuss how LinkedIn can benefit you as
either a business owner or job seeker.
• I will allow time for Q/A at the end of the
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 5
Your goals and LinkedIn
• If you are not on LinkedIn, you are significantly
reducing your chances of finding business, or
finding your next opportunity.
• If you are on LinkedIn and you don’t know what
you’re doing with your on-line presence, then
you may as well not be on LI.
• What are your goals?
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 6
Your business goals
• Grow your business
• Market your business
• Finding resources your business needs
• Hiring on LinkedIn
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 7
Tips for goal achievement
• Keep track of your progress to see if you are
meeting your goals.
• Stay focused and avoid distractions.
• Re-evaluate periodically and be flexible about
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 8
• Business to business professionals are
connecting with each other on LinkedIn as well
as decision makers
• People you have worked with could be singing
your praises on LinkedIn.
• Use LinkedIn to find the right contacts.
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 9
• Build a profile of yourself, what you do, who you
work for, etc.
• It is worth spending some time completing your
profile, because you never know who will find
you – a business contact, former colleagues,
prospects, potential employees and customers.
Basic Profile Content
• Your picture
• Your title, or the title that you are looking for
• Enter your resume information, including
• A good summary that will complement your
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 10
Customizing your LinkedIn URL
On the lower right hand side, click ‘Customize your public profile URL’
Write your name and leave out the numbers in the space provided
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 11
• This feature can be utilized as a reference (with prior
consent) for a possible job offer.
• Sample request for recommendation:
– Remind them that a LinkedIn recommendation isn’t a full
letter; it takes only about 10 minutes and doesn’t need to be
longer than three short paragraphs.
– Give them something specific to recommend about you. For
example, “Would you mind talking about the project we did
together and the role I played?”
– Suggest three specific personality or professional traits you
want them to mention. For example, “Would you mind
mentioning my work ethic, ability to work in teams, and
depth of experience working with difficult customers?”
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 12
How to Request a Recommendation
• To request a
• Hover over ‘Profile
• Click ‘Edit profile’
• Scroll down to
• On the right-hand side,
click ‘Ask to be
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 13
Expanding Your Network
• Do not use the generic message that LinkedIn provides.
Instead, send a personal message, explaining why you are
interested in reconnecting.
• Connect to members of Neighbors Helping Neighbors and
see whom they are connected with. You can connect to ‘2nd
• Connect to old co-workers and employers of contract, full-
time and volunteer positions that you held.
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 14
Create and join in discussions
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 15
Finding Contacts in Target Companies
• In the search bar, type in the company
• Follow the company
• Ask others who work at your target
companies to join your network.
• It may be useful to follow companies that you
worked for in the past, in order to reconnect
with former coworkers, or to connect with
others that may be influential in your job
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 16
Maximizing your LinkedIn
• When you get a new contact, email them and thank them for joining your
• Mention your capabilities and what you are looking to do.
• Always ask how you can help.
• Send periodic notes to your contacts, and always remember to thank
them for their help and ask how you can be of assistance.
• Networking is a two-way street.
• When you apply to a job online, search for contacts that are connected to
that company and ask if they know the hiring manager. Remind them why
you think that you are the best person for the job and once again, ask if
you can help them in any way.
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 17
Suggestions for you and your
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 18
Grow your business
• First state your goal clearly-figure out exactly what
you want and then see how LI can be used to help
you achieve that goal.
• Quote: People with goals succeed because they
know where they’re going. It’s that simple. Earl
Market Your Business
• Did you realize that…..
• Business to business professionals are
connecting with each other on LinkedIn?
• People you have worked with could be
singing your praises on LinkedIn?
• Use LinkedIn to find the right contacts
Finding resources that you need
• Use LinkedIn…
• If you need advice finding an accountant or
other service professional
• If you want to share a newsworthy article or
How LI can get you to your goals
• Joining groups
• Posting jobs
• Answering questions
• 500+ connections
• The more active you are, the more likely it will
be that you will show up in searches.
• Using keywords unique to your industry will
give you more visibility and will allow your
profile to come up in searches more often.
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 23
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 24
LinkedIn Tip - #1
1) Your photo – Always include a picture in
your profile. It humanizes you and makes you
seem more approachable.
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 25
LinkedIn Tip - #2
2) URL – Always customize the URL to be
your name or something memorable.
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 26
LinkedIn Tip - #3
3) Be proactive - Once on LinkedIn don’t sit
back and wait for something to happen.
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 27
LinkedIn Tip - #4
4) Requesting Connections – Always
customize your invitation when you ask people
to join your network. Include how they know you,
how you can benefit them by being a part of their
network, and even how you hope to work with
them in the future. Leaving the default message
says “You’re not important enough for me to
customize this to you” or worse “You sent this to
200 people and are probably going to spam my
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 28
LinkedIn Tip - #5
5) Accepting Connection Request – When you
get a request to connect, accept it or consider
first replying back asking why the person
wants to connect. After connecting, send a
follow-up ‘thanks for connecting with me’
message and propose next steps (meeting or
speaking with the person)
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 29
LinkedIn Tip - #6
6) Email address – If you’re going to use your
work e-mail address, always put your personal
e-mail address on your profile as backup just in
case you leave a company or business.
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 30
LinkedIn Tip - #7
7) Time Management – Most people who use
LinkedIn only do so for a few minutes a month.
It’s suggested you use LinkedIn for at least 30
minutes each day for a specific reason
(research, updating your profile, etc.)
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 31
LinkedIn Tip - #8
8) Recommendations – Ask for
recommendations after you do great work. Give
your colleagues recommendations when they do
great work. Be willing to revise them. LinkedIn
also has way you can endorse others, but
recommendations are considered better
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 32
LinkedIn Tips - #9
9) Update your profile – Make changes to your
profile to add skills and expertise and to include
any volunteer experience.
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 33
LinkedIn Tip - #10
10) Using LinkedIn Groups – Join appropriate
LinkedIn groups and be part of different
conversations occurring in each. An example of
an appropriate LinkedIn group is the
New Jersey Accounting & Finance Professionals Net
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 34
• Using LinkedIn is a process that takes time to
• Try not to feel overwhelmed
• Connecting on LinkedIn should never be a
substitute for in-person networking
05/15/14 LinkedIn presentation 35
• I appreciate the opportunity to present the
basics of LinkedIn to you
• Any questions???
Email Ken at
or call 973-768-2796
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.