Web Strategies That Really Work:
Leveraging SEO & Social Reach
February 17, 2010
Presented to: The Association Forum of Chicagoland
Kelly Cutler: Marcel Media
Kelly Cutler, CEO and Co-Founder of Marcel Media
• 12 years of internet and marketing experience
• Certified Google AdWords Professional
• Young Entrepreneurs Organization (EO) Member
• Chicago Internet Marketing Association (CIMA) Member
• Search Engine Marketing Professionals
If people can’t find your association online…
You’re missing out on important opportunities. 4
Search Engine Optimization
SEO is the process of improving the volume or quality of traffic to
a website from search engines via "natural" or “organic” search
• Optimization that deals with a website’s specific pages and
structure (navigation, tagging, content optimization, etc.)
• Optimization done outside of a website (syndication, social
sites, strategic linking, etc.)
• Usability is an extremely important website element that aids
user experience, maximizes conversions, and minimizes
Tools the Pros Use
Be data-driven - figure out what’s working…
and what’s not.
Google Keyword Tool
Google Insights for Search
Google Analytics: Tying Everything Together
• Optimize paid search
• Track Key Performance
• Improve website navigation
• Daily, weekly, and monthly
• Utilize funnels and filters to
streamline conversion paths
Tracking & Analysis: Key Performance Indicators
Pages per Visit
• Average number of pages viewed during a visit to your site -
repeated views of a single page are counted
Average Time on Site
• Average duration of a visit to your site
Percent New Visits
• Percentage of visits by people
who had never visited your site before
• Percentage of single-page visits (i.e. visits in which the person
left your site from the entrance page). Over 60% is below is
standard. 40%-60% is ideal. Below 40% is optimal.
Tools: Website Grader
Run an analysis of
your website and
compare your site
Tools: Google Insights for Search
Google Insights: Provides trending forecasts for keyword searches.
Writing Content for the Web: Tips for Success
Do your research
• Find the terms your audience is likely to use.
• Content should be written for a specific purpose and should
be focused on one subject.
o Multiple topics should be broken out into separate pages,
250-500 words are best.
• Build your page around the top 2 or 3 ideal search phrases.
o The average search term is 3 words long, so use longer
phrases and alternate keywords or use synonyms.
Press Release Optimization: Tips for Success
Write for your audience
• Have a clear message
Research terms and use strategic keyword placement
• Use Google’s keyword tool and incorporate search terms into
the headline and lead paragraph
• Add links intended to help people find related content
Use Social Tools
• Generate buzz among online communities/groups/networks
Create a Distribution Strategy
• Use news wires such as Business Wire and PRWeb, then
publish press releases on your own website to maximize SEO
Social Media Marketing is an Opportunity
• Promote user-generated content
• Create a platform for feedback
• Start conversations
• Create urgency around events/promotions
• Create informal social environment for association members
• Boosting SEO
• Maximized community growth
• Consistent communication
• Addressing the demands of your online users/members
The Value of Social Media
Through social media, associations are able to actively and
consistently target their members.
Social Media Advantages:
• Engagement: a step beyond search
• Increasing online visibility
• SEO (search engine optimization)
• Promoting new products and services
• Finding new trends within the specific verticals (what
• Increasing association and “brand” awareness
• Maintaining a competitive edge
Ohio Education Association (OEA) Example
The Ohio Education
Association (OEA) put out a
memo in Fall of 2008 strongly
advising teachers to
completely and totally avoid
social networking sites.
They have since revised their
protocol and created a
professional standard for
Currently OEA has
Twitter and Flickr
Don’t ignore the conversation, join it and stay in
front of it!
*Send your employees a “Getting Started with Social Media”
guide, this sets the stage for success.
*Create a process for handling feedback (both positive and
Summary & Marcel Media Tips
• Utilize tools/resources that gauge online performance.
• Determine what a conversion means to your site.
o Is it a form completion, a newsletter sign-up, etc…?
• Examine website usability.
o How easily can members or prospective members find important
• Join the online conversation, if you haven’t already.
• Create a Social Media policy for professional networking and
o Don’t forget about the importance of privacy settings.
630.916.8000 ext. 3
Prepared by Marcel Media www.marcelmedia.com
CONFIDENTIAL. This document is for The Association Forum of Chicagoland.
445 West Erie t. 312.255.8044
All material and information herein is not to be reproduced, disseminated, or
Suite 211 f. 866.643.7506
used in any other way without express consent of Marcel Media.
Chicago, Illinois 60654