Key person associated with
• Ivan Pavlov
• Pavlov lived from 1849-1936.
• He formed an experiment to teach a dog to form
a response to the ring of a bell.
• Using classical conditioning, he taught the dog
to salivate when it heard a bell ring.
Key points of the theory
• Classical conditioning is the reflex that
occurs in response to a stimulus.
• Although it was discovered in an
experiment with dogs, it can be applied to
many animals, including humans.
• It is a useful tool to teach people to respond
a certain way.
• Classical conditioning can be used to
increase the amount of a behavior, but it
can also be used to decrease behavior.
Using classical conditioning to teach in
• Teachers are able to apply classical conditioning
in the class without using technology by creating
a positive classroom environment to help
students overcome anxiety or fear.
• Teachers can reward students with candy or a
• Teachers can flash the lights to get the
students to quiet down.
Students under this theory
• Students taught by this theory will learn to
respond a certain way to something the teacher
• Not talking when the lights are flashed
• Receiving candy when answering a question
• Receiving detention when tardy to class
Using Classical Conditioning in My
• It would be very useful to use this theory
to teach my students.
• Classical conditioning is a very easy, but
effective tool to teach students.
• Something as simple as
flashing the classroom lights
can make the classroom
quieter, so students can pay
attention and learn.
• www.nobelprize.org Image
• dict.space.4goo.net Image
• Teachers Discovering Computers: Integrating
Technology in a Connected World
• Images from Microsoft ClipArt