2. Imperialism Deﬁned ✦ Imperialism:A policy of extending a countrys power and inﬂuence through diplomacy or military force. ✦ Colonialism:The policy or practice of acquiring full or partial political control over another country, occupying it with settlers. ✦ Annexation:Incorporation by joining or uniting.
3. Social Darwinism✦ Social Darwinism is easily described as survival of the ﬁttest, where everyone is looking out for themselves and only themselves.✦ Its justiﬁes taking over another country because one may think that they are doing the other a favor by taking over.
4. "White Mans Burden"✦ The white man’s burden is an old belief that there were two kinds of people; ones capable of ruling and those who were only subject people Africans were usually considered as subject people.✦ The burden was that the subject peoples land didn’t provide much ﬁnancial support, it caused many deaths to the colonist, about 1 in every 3 french and british solider sent to West Africa would die of disease.✦ The British and German empires are both examples of the concept.
5. Racism and the Missionary Impulse ✦ Racism:Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief. ✦ Missionaries actions can be paternalistic because they weren’t welcome to the land, they just overturned the country and converted as many Africans as possible.
6. The Scramble for Africa✦ It began at 1881 to 1914.✦ It was caused because Africa ﬂourished with many raw materials.✦ The Berlin Conference was a meeting between all of the European countries that had any control over africa. At the meeting they divided the continent accordingly.
7. Nationalism ✦ It is the feeling of superiority over all other countries.
8. Colonized vs. the Colonizers✦ For more natural materials.✦ Not very good, I wouldn’t like it if America was taken over by some other country. I would have to change my whole lifestyle.