The pros, cons, and strategies
by Dr. Kelly Edmonds
respond to a comment, idea, or question
discuss an issue
discuss a process
reflect on an experience
Some Uses of Threaded Discussions
Pros of Online Threaded Discussions
◦ everyone has a chance to post, share their voice
◦ asynchronous and flexible timing
◦ think before posting
◦ in-depth (and assessable) discussion
◦ review and reflect
Cons of Online Threaded Discussions
◦ redundant posts
◦ dominant posters
◦ overwhelming number of posts
Pros and Cons
Solutions and Strategies for
Effective Online Threaded
What is your philosophy on teaching and learning?
◦ This will affect how you use discussions as a learning
What is your perception of moderated discussions?
◦ Can they intimidate students? Are they biased and leading?
Or just good leadership?
Did you know that not all students enjoy working in
◦ Though a favoured activity in the constructivist and
socialists world, not so with all students.
Other concerns and issues to think
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.