* “Assumptions are the termites of Relationships” What do you think this means?
* * Aggressive: overly forceful, pushy, or hostile. * May involve bullying or intimidation * May not pay attention to others’ thoughts, feelings, or needs. * Passive: unwilling or unable to express thoughts and feelings in a direct or firm manner. * Putting others’ needs ahead of your own * Dislike conflict/ will go out of way to avoid arguments * Assertive: expressing your views clearly and respectfully. * Standing up for your rights while respecting the rights of others * Negotiating and compromising
* * Partner Activity (10 minutes) * You are always late!! Why are you so inconsiderate? You made me miss my recital! * “I feel unimportant (feeling) when you are late (event) and I miss my recital (consequence).”
* * Active Listening: paying close attention to what someone is saying and communicating. 4 Listening Skills Clarify Reflective Listening Empathy Encouragement
* Clarify • Ask questions. Make sure you understand what the speaker is saying. Check for understanding. Reflective Listening • “So what you’re saying is…” Rephrasing or summarizing. Empathy • Show other person you relate to their feelings. Don’t pass judgment on the speakers attitudes or actions. Encouragement • Signs you are following what the speaker is saying and listening to them. Face the speaker and make eye contact. Nod or make comments: “I see”, “Go on”.
* * Activity * Have students get in partners * Come up with a situation where one of you is talking and the other one practices ONE of the four listening skills. * The class guesses what skill it is. * 15-20 minutes
* * Body Language: nonverbal communication through gestures, facial expressions, behaviors, and posture. * Sometimes what we say is not as important as HOW we say it. * Everything we do sends a message!
** Crossed Arms * Closed off. Implies resistance. Not listening or interested.* A nose rub * Linked with deception. Could mean you’re lying or trying to hide the truth.* A barrier * You’re too close. Back off.* A hand placed under the chin * Contemplative. Making a decision.* Feet pointed toward the door * Ready to leave. The feet are the most honest part of the body. What direction are they facing?* A back of the neck scratch * Concerned or have questions.* Mirroring * Shows interest. You find the speaker favorable.* Forward lean/decrease in backwards lean * Indicates positive sentiment and interest.* Eye Contact * Shows interest, attention, and involvement.* Raised Eyebrow * May indicate skepticism or interest, depending on how it is done.* Avoiding Eye Contact * dishonesty or discomfort