View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Web Analytics in a nutshell
• Web analytics software tracks metrics – or, measurements –
of web traffic
• Web analytics can help you get into the heads of your
• Analytics can give you info that can make your website’s
design and content better and more relevant to your
• HUMANS do web analytics, not software
What Web Analytics won’t do:
• Act as a replacement for CRM
• Drive traffic to your website
• Perform magic
How your organization can use
• Find out what campaigns (e-mail, social media, paid search
- even print!) bring in traffic/activity
• Identify what websites hold the key to your core supporters
• Monitor what website content is popular & most effective
• in site errors (broken links, etc.)
Web Analytics Key Terms
• Visitor: An individual user of your site
• Visit/Session: Time from when a visitor enters and
leaves your website
• Pageviews: Every time a visitor views a web page on a
• Site Referrer: External web page that brought visitor to
• Conversion: When a visitor completes an action (buys a
product, subscribes to newsletter)
• Bounce Rate: Percentage of visitors that exit after only
viewing one page of a website (or 10 seconds)
Planning a Web Analytics Strategy
• What is the purpose of your organization’s site? (ex.
sell products, gather donations or content?)
• What visitor actions on the site will help achieve your
goals? (ex. signing up, buying something?)
• What do visitors want to do when they come to your
• What information will decision-makers want to know?
Metrics and your site
You don’t have to pay attention to every metric!
Identify key metrics!
• Blog: time on site, pages/visit
• Non-profit website: Visitor to donor ratio, referring
What metrics you follow depend on the goals of your site.
Web Analytics Troubleshooting
• Measuring goal conversion?
• Filtering your data?
• Segmenting your data?
• Reporting your data to all who could use it?
• Acting on your data?
Going Further: Testing and
• A/B Testing (testing test samples against a baseline)
• Multivariate Testing (testing multiple page elements)
• Heat Maps
• Campaign tagging and measurement (PPC, email,
• Surveys and focus groups
Going Further: Books/Blogs
• Google Analytics 2.0 – Mary E. Tyler
• Web Analytics an Hour a Day — Avinash Kaushik
• Web Analytics 2.0 — Avinash Kaushik
Blogs/Websites (Google ‘em!)
• Conversion University
• Web Analytics World
• Web Analytics Demystified