• Plan lessons• Assess students• Teach in big or small groups• Grade assignments• Communicate with parents• Work with individual students• Prepare students• Develop and enforce classroom-for example, at lunchtime or during recess.
• School teachers work in public and private schools.• Most states have tenure laws• Kindergarten and elementary school teachers held about 1.7 million jobs in 2010.• Seeing students develop new skills can be rewarding• Kindergarten and elementary school teachers generally work school hours when students are present.• Many teachers work the traditional 10-month school year, with a 2-month break during the summer.
• The freedom of their own teaching styles• Seeing students develop new skills• Working with children• Working 9-10 months a year• The variety of work• Work that is valuable for the future of society• The chance to be creative• Able to travel or transfer
• Teaching large classes• Heavy workloads• Standing for long hours• Dealing with unmotivated and disrespectful students• The stress sometimes associated with working closely with students• Long hours outside classroom• Coping with unruly behavior and violence• Isolation from their colleagues
• Bachelor’s degree in teaching.• complete an approved teacher-training• Many school districts around the U.S. now accept bachelor’s degrees in other majors.• Some states require teachers to earn a master’s degree• All states require public school teachers to be licensed.
• Knowledge:• Skills:• Services:
University of Northern Iowa:• Double Room- $8,619*• Meal Plans- Premium (Unlimited)• Dining Dollars Included- $500 ($250/sem)• *Includes $20 mandatory Residence Hall Activity FeeUniversity of Iowa:• Tuition and fees- $8,057• Room and board- $9,170• Subtotal- $17,227
National IowaStarting salary Per yr: $40,000 Per yr: $39,627 Per hr: $19.25 Per hr: $19.00Average salary Per yr: $55,500 Per yr: $54,879 Per hr: $26.75 Per hr: $26.50Salary with experience Per yr: $65,000 Per yr: $64,227 Per hr: $31.25 Per hr: $30.75
University of Northern Iowa website:• http://www.uni.edu/majors/curriculum-instructionOccupational Outlook Handbook:• http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Discover:• https://actapps.act.org/eDISCOVER/Teacher Career Information:• http://careerplanning.about.com/od/occupations/p/te acher.htmElementary Education Services:• http://www.calu.edu/academics/programs/elementar y-education-services/curriculum/index.htm