2. Let’s Review your rights in the PENS Strategy PENS ick a Formula xplore Words ote the Words earch & Check
3. We have already learned about Action Verbs They show two types of action Physical Action And Mental
4. <ul><li>Another kind of Verb is a </li></ul>Linking Verb
5. Definition: <ul><li>Linking Verb </li></ul>Words that link the subject to a word that describes that subject Subject Description
6. There are 9 Linking Verbs see… These are the 6 most common see…. Am Are Is Was Were Seem Here’s the rest see…. Be Been Become
7. Simon old Let’s look at a sentence containing a linking verb What is the linking verb in this sentence? was Was, links the subject, Simon, to the description, old
8. <ul><li>When a word links </li></ul><ul><li>the description to the subject. </li></ul><ul><li>We say it shows a “state of being” </li></ul>
9. So How do we search and check for linking verbs?
10. We use to ask what the action was Now we need to look for the action or linking verb
11. Jennifer is very beautiful. Let’s look for the verb in this sentence Is Jennifer an action or linking verb? No! Is is an action or linking verb? (check our list) Am Are Is Was Were Seem Be Been Become Yes it is, so place a V above “is” V
12. Jennifer is very beautiful. V Now that we’ve found the verb let’s find the subject. Ask who or what is? Jennifer is our subject Put an “S” above Jennifer S Boys!!