1. 1 www.envirogrids.netEnviroGRIDS: URM Step to GEOSSPremysl VohnoutCzech Centre for Science and SocietyCzech Republic
2. 2 www.envirogrids.netIntroduction• The Global Earth Observation System of Systems(GEOSS) has been built by the Group on EarthObservations (GEO).• The GEOSS is focused on user needs and supportbetter utilization of environmental data and decision-support tools by users• EnviroGRIDS @ Black Sea Catchment aims at– building capacities in the Black Sea region,– to use new international standards to gather, store,distribute, analyze, visualize and disseminate crucialinformation on past, present and future states of thisregion, in order to assess its sustainability andvulnerability.
3. 3 www.envirogrids.netIntroduction• EnviroGRIDS is building modern Spatial DataInfrastructure (SDI) that– is one of components of GEOSS– is compatible INSPIRE• EnviroGRIDS GeoPortal is designed as virtualdatabase.– It uses principles of Uniform Resource ManagementSystem (URM) and Geoportal4everybody– It integrates different technologies like GeographicInformation System (GIS), multimedia, ContentManagement System, social media.
4. 4 www.envirogrids.netObjectives• The main objectives of the implementation ofGeoPortal cover the implementation of followingservices:• Discovery services: supporting discovery of data,evaluation and use of spatial data and services throughtheir metadata properties.• View services: as a minimum, display, navigate, zoomin/out, pan, or overlay spatial data and display legendinformation and any relevant content of metadata• Download services: enabling copies of complete spatialdata sets or parts of such sets to be downloaded• Transformation services: enabling spatial data to betransformed (projection and harmonization)
5. 5 www.envirogrids.netObjectives• Invoke spatial data services: enabling dataservices to be invoked.• This implementation is done using OpenGeospatial Consortium (OGC) services– Web Map Service (WMS),– Web Feature Services (WFS),– Web Coverage Services (WCS),– Web Processing Services (WPS),– Catalogue Services for Web (CSW)• All of this services will be made alsointeroperable with Grid services
6. 6 www.envirogrids.netMethodology• EG portal can be seen from two sides:– As a client accessing external services.– As a server making data and services available for othercomponents of SDI (INSPIRE and GEOSS based) or for GRIDservice.• EG portal supports easy registration of different spatialservices (client). The system offers possibilities to:– Register services temporally for visualization– Register services to catalogue– Connect temporally other catalogue into discovery client ofGeoPortal– Register catalogue services for harvesting• EG portal provides tools for users to create services (here isserver)
7. 7 www.envirogrids.netDevelopment• The EnviroGRIDS GP is divided into four basicbuildings blocks:– Metadata management (editing, discovery,access, harvesting)– Data management (upload, download, import toDB, OGC service publishing)– Data visualization (local data, WMS, WFS, KMLand management of WMC)– Content management (publishing of context andconnection with social networks)
8. 8 www.envirogrids.netDevelopment• EG portal ensures that any user can easily discover,evaluate and use any type of information.• Core component of the system is metadatamanagement system– It allows to manage any types of information.– It allows to search and share data using catalogue serviceand social networks.• Tools which are mainly used also in other portals are:– MIcKA– HSLayers– Geoserver
9. 9 www.envirogrids.netTechnology description
10. 10 www.envirogrids.netTechnology description
11. 11 www.envirogrids.netTechnology description
12. 12 www.envirogrids.netTechnology description
13. 13 www.envirogrids.netTechnology description
14. 14 www.envirogrids.netConclusion• EG portal is now part of of GEOSS infrastructure.• Solution supports both major SDI iniatives INSPIRE aswell as GEOSS.• It can be now used as tool for capacity building inregion.• Curently it offers:– List of basic services to integrate data in any region.– Harvesting of available data and services– Integrated access point for data in region• This experiences can be transferred to other regionsincluding Africa
15. 15 www.envirogrids.netThanks for attentionPremysl Vohnoutvohnout@ccss.cz