BYOD: Rebranding Mathematics Instruction with Global Projects and Cell Phones - CAMT 2014
Kim Caise, NBCT, M.Ed.
Global Projects and
Acceptable User Policy (AUP)
• Be certain that your campus/district’s
AUP allows for the use of mobile device
including cell phones
• If not, let these ideas and lessons open
the doors and serve as models lessons
for your principal, district officials, IT
• Be BRAVE and an advocate for your
students when necessary and possible!
• These may be simple tools but these
tools can jazz up lessons and really
• Instead of doing something with
paper/pencil you can do the same
thing with a cell phone and one of
the web tools or cell phone apps.
• Students tune out and we need
them to tune in - cell phones can
help engage then with the content in
a new, meaningful way.
• Record, save and share audio files
• Accessible on many mobile devices
• Free account is limited to 3 minutes
• Follow and subscribe to other
• Link your Boo to many online
• Store notes and search notes
• Store pictures, documents,
emails, etc. and send/share to
your Evernote account via an
Evernote email address
• There is so much more to explore
using Evernote including apps from
the ‘trunk’ for free to enhance using
• Multiple choice options only
• Class polling option
• Immediate responses
• No limit of responses
• Generates a QR code
for each poll
Do you use polling in your
classroom with students?
2. Enter code 793869
3. Select your answer.
A. Yes, sure do!
B. No, not able to
C. No, not yet!
D. What is polling?
Please feel free to answer the
poll question at http://vot.rs.
• Group texting that is secure and private
• You can poll your groups
with no member limit
• No downloads, free and
students can take notes and
quickly send to a group
• Join groups based on topics,
hashtags, keywords, etc.
• CAMT 2014 members feel free to join the
Cell using the info on the phone above
• Group messaging
• Phone numbers are
• Join group using a
code after calling
• CAMT members feel free to join the
Remind101 so we can experience these
• Create musical slideshows using uploaded
photos from a computer or cell phone.
• Videos can be viewed on a cell phone.
• Teachers’ account can create unlimited
videos, no time limit and download the
videos for offline use for free
• Add your own images demonstrating how
to solve a problem or narrate how to find
• Runs on tablets, smartphones and
• Teachers login and select
• Students login and interact
with the content
• Import and share quizzes with other
• Limited to 50 users per activity
• Assessment tool that allows you to
poll the class and seek responses
that are open ended text answers
• Translation is available on
• Students are able to draw
responses to quiz questions
• May be used on iOS, Android and
• Scan or generate codes associated
with any URL
• Showcase student work, announce
campus events, or share
• I-nigma for qr code -
• Microsoft tags -
Projects by Jen
•Free personal account or $79/year or
$15/month for 50 student accounts
•Comment using computer microphone,
cell phone or typed text
•Take and upload images using cell
phone of a math process
•Example: (feel free to respond to theVoiceThread
Civil War Sallie/Patriot Pete