3. Overview• This informational session will look at educational and fun websites for students in K-12 education to help make their summer both fun and educational while on the computer. Websites will be discussed and broken down by grade level. In addition, resources will be provided for both the parent and the teacher. This session is part of the Parent Informational Series.
4. Resources for Presentation• http://www.slideshare.net/kbrooks• http://www.karenbrooksucboces.blogspot.com• http://www.karenbrooks.wikispaces.com• http://www.pinterest.com/Dembe27
5. Video Social Media Revolutionhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0EnhXn5boMhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0EnhXn5boM
9. All My Favs – Educational Tab http://edu.allmyfaves.com/
12. Resources for Parents• Mom’s Homeroom - • Activity TV - http://momshomeroom.msn.com/ http://www.activitytv.com/summ• Summer Activities for Kids - http://www.activitiesforkids.com/summer/calendar.htm • 80+ Inexpensive or Free• Mail Just 4 Me – Summer Fun - http://mailjust4me.com/play/summer1.htm Activities for Kids this Summer - http://www.crystalandcomp.com/2011/05/80-inexpensive-or-fre• Kaboose – Summer Activities - http://holidays.kaboose.com/summer/ + Newsletter + Crafts • Disney Go – Summer Fun -• Martha Stewart 60 Summer http://familyfun.go.com/summer Activities for Kids - http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/60-summer-activities-for-kids• Creative Kids at Home - http://www.creativekidsathome.com/summerkidsactivities2.html
13. K-2Reading and Ability Level
14. K-2 Summer Resources • Starfall – Phonemic awareness, phonics and fluency • Orson’s Farm: Phonemic Awareness • GameGoo • Building Language and Literacy from Scholastic • Study Dog – Supports all 5 building blocks to reading
15. Arthur Games from PBS Kids Arthur Games – Letters To... Arthur Games – Poetry Club Arthur Games – Muffy’s Wardrobe Story Scramble Unmatching Game Between the Lions Games from PBS Kids Digby Mole’s Word Games from BBC; end sounds, first sounds, and rhymes
16. ISpy from Scholastic Literacy Center Read and Write with Clifford from Scholastic
17. Construct A Word from ReadWriteThinkWord Wizard from ReadWriteThinkWhat’s in the Bag from ReadWriteThinkPicture Match from ReadWriteThink
18. Sound and Letter Time from Scholastic• Scholastic News – Ask a Weather Watcher (Listen & Read) – Here Come the Frogs! (Listen & Read) – Insect World Records (Listen & Read) – Growing Up Gater (Listen & Read) – Meet Mr. President (Listen & Read) – Welcome Back, Bald Eagles! (Listen & Read)
19. • Dragonfly no longer maintained by University of Miami, but still available.• Scholastic Special Reports• National Geographic for Kids Stories from Around the World Includes Videos, Activites and Games.
20. • Moppet Games Fund educational games kids 3-12.• PBS Sesame Games• Brain Pop JrPaid site, butsome freematerials
29. • Bright Horizons Summer Resources• Food Detectives• Interactive Math Games
30. 9-12Ability and Reading Levels
31. High Schoolhttp://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/hs/home/home/index.htm
32. Magnetic Poetryhttp://www.magneticpoetry.com/poetgame/create.cfm?k=5
33. Jefferson Labshttp://education.jlab.org/indexpages/elementgames.php
34. BBC World Historyhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/primaryhistory/worldhistory/
35. Playing Historyhttp://playinghistory.org/
36. More resources on Delicious.com• http://delicious.com/dembe01/Middle_School• http://delicious.com/dembe01/parent_resource• http://delicious.com/dembe01/ss• http://delicious.com/dembe01/art• http://delicious.com/dembe01/music• http://delicious.com/dembe01/science• http://delicious.com/dembe01/math• http://delicious.com/dembe01/ela• http://delicious.com/dembe01/languages• http://delicious.com/dembe01/internet_safety
38. BBC Learninghttp://www.bbc.co.uk/learning/
39. Alice StoryTelling http://www.alice.org/• Carnegie Mellon makes downloads of the Alice software available for free at www.alice.org.• Eight textbooks on Alice have been written. Alice is used by 10 percent of U.S. colleges and in many high schools.• Also available is a version for middle school children called "Storytelling Alice," which was designed by Caitlin Kelleher, Pauschs Ph.D. student, to appeal in particular to young girls with hopes of increasing female interest in computer science careers.
42. CCheck out the US Department of Educationhttp://www2.ed.gov/parents/landing.jhtml
43. Don’t forget to check teacher websites & District Websites!
44. Other Resources to Check Out• Family suggested iPad and Phone Apps for Kids - http://familyinternet.about.com/od/software/tp/ipad_apps_kids_families.htm• Home – The Summer Learning Place - http://www.megaskillshsi.org/media/docs/summerLearningPlace.pdf• Summer Reading Brochure - http://www.rif.org/documents/us/summer_reading.pdf• Reading Plant http://www.rif.org/kids/readingplanet.htm• Reading Rockets 10 Weeks of Summer Reading - http://www.readingrockets.org/article/391• Six Games for Reading - http://www.readingrockets.org/article/79• Language Arts Games online - http://childparenting.about.com/od/languageartsgamesonline/Language_Arts_Games_Online.htm• Spelling Games for Kids - http://homeparents.about.com/cs/homeschooling/a/spell_games.htm• Three Easy Sight Word Games - http://childparenting.about.com/od/makeathomewordgames/a/sightwordgames.htm• YRCA - http://www.pnla.org/yrca/index.htm• Top 20th Century Children’s Literature - http://www.randomhouse.com/features/treasury/vote/• The Read Aloud Handbook - http://childrensbooks.about.com/cs/readalouds/fr/readaloudhandbk.htm• Public Library Book Search Page http://www.cmlibrary.org/bookhive/• Lit Charts - http://www.litcharts.com/