Consumer Driven Success
By: Kellie Bonham
1. Background & Introduction
2. The Green Marketplace
3. The Green Consumer
4. Being Heard: Greenpeace
5. Apple: The Greenest Family of Notebooks?
What is Green Marketing?
• Green marketing, a new concept, refers to the
specific development, pricing, and promotion
of environmentally safe products, in an
environmentally sensitive manner
• It is:
• Sustainable Economy (76 billion dollars)
• Healthy Lifestyles (27 billion dollars)
• Alternative Medicine (30 billion dollars)
• Personal Growth (10 billion dollars)
• Ecological Lifestyles (81 billion dollars)
The Green Consumer:
• Highly Educated
• Average Income
• Least Price Sensitive
• Favor value
• Brand loyal
• Influential to other consumers
• Early Adopters
• Consistent with morals, ethics & beliefs
• Established in 1971
• One of the largest and most successful
environmentalist groups today
• Your voice is your strongest weapon!
• Consumers CAN get what they WANT
• Protested against:
McDonald’s, Target, Kleenex…. Etc.
• However, most recently, towards the end of
2008, Greenpeace won a major battle with a
huge technological corporation….
• Anybody know who?
• Pressure from environmentalist groups like
• Threats from consumers to boycott Apple
products and opt for companies with a
greener agenda (HP and Toshiba)
• Consumer Trends/ Social Trends
• Overall “Apple” mentality
Successful Green Companies:
• Planet- Friendly
• Offer Superior Performance
• Make a difference
• Hear the consumer voice
• Strong Brand Name
• Bank of America
• S.C. Johnson
• General Electric
• When the consumer is lead to believe that the
brand or product they purchase is of green
standards when it is not.
• The Accused:
Kleenex, Fiji Water, IKEA
• Destroys brand image and customer loyalty
• Loss in profits
• Kleenex and Kimberly-Clark have recently been accused of
false advertising green products, when in fact, only the box is
•Loyal customers feel betrayed, brand image is at risk!
• Does green marketing actually exist?
• Is this just a social/consumer trend?
• Are companies going green for the right
Think about it!
• Visit Greenpeace.org
• Do some research
• Buy green products!
• Greenpeace. http://www.greenpeace.org
• The Effect of Green Marketing: Consumer Trends
• Going Green.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.