12. Backed up in multipleinstitutions around the worldDOIs provided by DataCite atthe California Digital LibraryAdhere to ethics of academicpublishing, as per guidelinesORCID launch partner, files tobe pushed to author profilesAll content hosted on AWS withtriple file storage, fast load timesand unbeatable uptime
14. desktop uploader Desktop Uploaderthe ﬁgshare desktop uploader allows for quick and easy upload of your research outputs, straight allowsyour The figshare desktop uploader from for quick and easy upload of your desktop.outputs, straight from your many research users can upload as desktop. You can upload oncefiles atthe ﬁles as they want at many and once and the uploader supportsuploader supports resumable uploads resumable uploads. This means if your (so you’re safe if your connection internet connection drops, you don t need to start the drops).again. uploadsallAll files areprivate space at private ﬁles uploaded into your ﬁrst, where spacecan choose whether to make you on figshare, where you can chose whether to make them public or manage themthem public. privately.
15. easy data access (in/out) via the API
16. figshare for Institutions•  Large amounts of secure private storage space and unlimited public space.•  Detailed metrics on publicly available data.•  Ability to push research to any internal repository.•  Subject categorisation per department.•  Collaborative spaces.•  Create your own institutional repo: institution.ﬁgshare.com•  All data is citable, visualisable, embeddable and trackable.•  Can be used securely by any number of users.
18. rewards, incentives the “social issue”
19. administrators / funders as inﬂuencers drivers of behavioral change
20. existing system is imperfectwe can/need to do better.
21. time, breadth, comprehensiveness Citations AltmetricsSlow to accrue (> 1yr) Quick to accrue (hours) Low volume High volumeImpact amongst authors Impact anywhere
22. <quick bit of history>
23. altmetrics Alternative metricsAlternative to only looking at citations (complement to, not replacement for bibliometrics) Manifesto (by Priem, Neylon, Groth, Taborelli) at altmetrics.org - we didn’t coin the phrase
25. right now... “Altmetrics” generally refers to tracking onlineattention (esp. social media) data to try and get an idea of the wider impact of scholarly research.
26. altmetrics tools
28. beyond the ivory tower
29. uniﬁed view, uselowest common denominator
30. make it easy to understand
31. data is made available through an API http://api.altmetric.com/v1/doi/xxxhttp://api.altmetric.com/v1/citations/1w?cited_in=linkedinhttp://api.altmetric.com/v1/citations/1w?issns=1098-4275
32. the business model question ...use by institutional repositories is free. Explorer accounts also free for academic librarians to use however they wish.we charge commercial publishers for more detailed data and sell site license access to the Explorer app.