By Kayleen Weaver
What is it? <ul><li>School violence is when someone harms or threatens to harm a person’s body, feelings, or possessions w...
Rationale <ul><li>There were frequent examples of school violence in Twisted. </li></ul><ul><li>It happens quite a lot, bu...
Results of School Violence Survey <ul><li>On the average, how many physically violent incidents involving students have yo...
<ul><li>On the average, how many bullying/harassment incidents involving students have you observed this year? </li></ul><...
<ul><li>How many of the bullying/harassment incidents were handled without the assistance from the administration this yea...
<ul><li>Have you been personally threatened or intimidated by a student this year? </li></ul><ul><li>60% of West students ...
<ul><li>Has your property ever been stolen, damaged or vandalized by a student this year? </li></ul><ul><li>50% of West st...
<ul><li>How does the administration tend to treat violence at West? </li></ul><ul><li>10% of West students said doesn’t ne...
<ul><li>Have you committed any acts of violence, small or serious this year? </li></ul><ul><li>40% of West students said y...
<ul><li>Has any of your friends or relatives been victims of school violence this year? </li></ul><ul><li>80% of West stud...
<ul><li>What are your feelings concerning school violence at West? </li></ul><ul><li>30% of West students said it can happ...
Analysis <ul><li>Students have observed physically violent incidents at West.  Some more than others. </li></ul><ul><li>St...
<ul><li>More students have been personally threatened or intimated by a student this year. </li></ul><ul><li>Half of the s...
<ul><li>More students say they have not committed any acts of violence, small or serious this year. </li></ul><ul><li>More...
What can you do? <ul><li>School violence occurs more than many people are willing to admit.  Students and staff see it hap...
Statistics <ul><li>44%-49% of all schools report physical attacks to the authorities. </li></ul><ul><li>Fights with weapon...
<ul><li>5% of students aged 12-18 reported  they have been bullied at school in the past 6 months. </li></ul><ul><li>On av...
Works Cited <ul><li>School Violence. (Online Image). 1 April 2009.  <http://gatorball.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/sc hool2...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

School Violence

2,371
-1

Published on

Published in: Education, Health & Medicine
0 Comments
1 Like
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
2,371
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
1
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
104
Comments
0
Likes
1
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • School Violence. (Online Image). 1 April 2009. &lt;http://gatorball.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/school20violence1.jpg&gt;.
  • School Violence

    1. 1. By Kayleen Weaver
    2. 2. What is it? <ul><li>School violence is when someone harms or threatens to harm a person’s body, feelings, or possessions while in school. </li></ul>
    3. 3. Rationale <ul><li>There were frequent examples of school violence in Twisted. </li></ul><ul><li>It happens quite a lot, but goes unnoticed. </li></ul><ul><li>I want to see how many students at West have noticed and/or have been subjected to school violence. </li></ul><ul><li>I hope that more people become aware and help to solve it. </li></ul>
    4. 4. Results of School Violence Survey <ul><li>On the average, how many physically violent incidents involving students have you observed this year? </li></ul><ul><li>10% of West students said none. </li></ul><ul><li>50% of West students said 1-2. </li></ul><ul><li>30% of West students said 3-5. </li></ul><ul><li>10% of West students said 6 or more. </li></ul>
    5. 5. <ul><li>On the average, how many bullying/harassment incidents involving students have you observed this year? </li></ul><ul><li>0% of West students said none. </li></ul><ul><li>20% of West students said 1-2. </li></ul><ul><li>60% of West students said 3-5. </li></ul><ul><li>20% of West students said 6 or more. </li></ul>
    6. 6. <ul><li>How many of the bullying/harassment incidents were handled without the assistance from the administration this year? </li></ul><ul><li>10% of West students said none. </li></ul><ul><li>30% of West students said 1-2. </li></ul><ul><li>40% of West students said 3-5. </li></ul><ul><li>20% of West students said 6 or more. </li></ul>
    7. 7. <ul><li>Have you been personally threatened or intimidated by a student this year? </li></ul><ul><li>60% of West students said yes. </li></ul><ul><li>40% of West students said no. </li></ul>
    8. 8. <ul><li>Has your property ever been stolen, damaged or vandalized by a student this year? </li></ul><ul><li>50% of West students said yes. </li></ul><ul><li>50% of West students said no. </li></ul>
    9. 9. <ul><li>How does the administration tend to treat violence at West? </li></ul><ul><li>10% of West students said doesn’t need to worry about it because it rarely happens. </li></ul><ul><li>30% of West students said feels as though “everything is under control”. </li></ul><ul><li>60% of West students said is very aware of the problem and is doing their best to treat it. </li></ul>
    10. 10. <ul><li>Have you committed any acts of violence, small or serious this year? </li></ul><ul><li>40% of West students said yes. </li></ul><ul><li>60% of West students said no. </li></ul>
    11. 11. <ul><li>Has any of your friends or relatives been victims of school violence this year? </li></ul><ul><li>80% of West students said yes. </li></ul><ul><li>20% of West students said no. </li></ul>
    12. 12. <ul><li>What are your feelings concerning school violence at West? </li></ul><ul><li>30% of West students said it can happen, but little chance of major violence occurring. </li></ul><ul><li>70% of West students said bad stuff has happened, but nothing serious. </li></ul>
    13. 13. Analysis <ul><li>Students have observed physically violent incidents at West. Some more than others. </li></ul><ul><li>Students observed more bullying/harassment incidents than physically violent ones. </li></ul><ul><li>More students have observed that 3-5 of those bullying/harassment incidents were handled without the assistance of the administration. </li></ul>
    14. 14. <ul><li>More students have been personally threatened or intimated by a student this year. </li></ul><ul><li>Half of the students have had something stolen, damaged, or vandalized by another student. </li></ul><ul><li>Students agree that the West administration is aware of problems and is doing their best to treat them. </li></ul>
    15. 15. <ul><li>More students say they have not committed any acts of violence, small or serious this year. </li></ul><ul><li>More students know friends or relatives who have been victims of school violence. </li></ul><ul><li>Students say that school violence has happened, but little chance of major violence occurring. More students say bad stuff has happened, but nothing serious. </li></ul>
    16. 16. What can you do? <ul><li>School violence occurs more than many people are willing to admit. Students and staff see it happen and a lot of the time don’t do anything about it. If you see it happening, don’t turn your back. Do something about it. Tell someone you trust to end it. You will be helping to save someone from torment and bullying and make the school a better place to be. </li></ul>
    17. 17. Statistics <ul><li>44%-49% of all schools report physical attacks to the authorities. </li></ul><ul><li>Fights with weapons are more common in middle schools. </li></ul><ul><li>There are 100 times more guns in the hands of children than are reported to congress. </li></ul><ul><li>7% of students are less likely to carry a a weapon on school property, then 17% of students carry a weapon anywhere. </li></ul><ul><li>Students ages 12-18 were victims of more than 2.7 million total crimes at school. </li></ul>
    18. 18. <ul><li>5% of students aged 12-18 reported they have been bullied at school in the past 6 months. </li></ul><ul><li>On average, each year there are 133,700 violent crimes against teachers. </li></ul><ul><li>Only 9% of violent crimes against teens in school were reported to the police compared with 37% if these crimes happening on the streets. </li></ul>
    19. 19. Works Cited <ul><li>School Violence. (Online Image). 1 April 2009. <http://gatorball.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/sc hool20violence1.jpg>. </li></ul><ul><li>“ School Violence Statistics”. Security World . 7 April 2009. <http://www.securityworld.com/ia-428- school-violence-statistics.aspx>. </li></ul><ul><li>“ Staff Survey on School Violence”. 1 April 2009. <http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/qf/bully_qt/staff_su rvey.pdf>. </li></ul>
    1. A particular slide catching your eye?

      Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.

    ×