Perception: The Process of Understanding
•The mental process through which we
interpret that which we sense.
•Active perception: Individually, we
•Language is an ARBITRARY system
• Developmental features which impact
– Education, Religion, Occupation, Social
Starts on Page. 25
• Your sense of self; your accommodation
with your past; plans for your future;
and all the prejudices, potentialities, and
possibilities that are you.
• Symbolic interactionism---previous
communicative events that make you
who you are today.
Love and Belonging Needs
Basic Needs: Water, Shelter, Food
• Self-Image: The
picture you have of
yourself, the sort of
person you believe
• Self-Esteem: How
we feel about
ourselves, how well
we like & value who
• Tendency to become
expect you to become
Female & Male Traits
Establish a POSITIVE ATTITUDE
Locus of Control:
What Occurs In Perception?
• Selection--Some stimuli gains our attention while we neglect
• Selective Attention--Focus on certain cues and ignore others
• Selective Retention--We categorize, store, and retrieve
certain information…while we discard other information
• Stereotyping--placing people/things into convenient
categories rather than perceiving them based on individual
Time to stop stereotyping
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.