Register through the Manhattan Beach Athletic Foundation Website http://www.mbathleticfoundation.org/ mbaf_pages/mbaf_summer/ mbaf_sumprgrm.html Please note the practices are at Manhattan Beach Middle School not at Mira Costa
1. Is the summer class mandatory in order to playfreshman basketball? A-No the program is not mandatory to makethe frosh/soph team2. Does everyone make the team? A-No, every year we make cuts3. Are cuts made at the end of summer? A- Yes and No
Yes- At the end of summer the coaching staff mustsubmit a roster of players who will be invited to be apart of the 6th period Basketball class. Not all playersparticipating in the summer will be invited to be inthe 6th period class. Players who are invited DO NOThave to sign up for regular PE.No- There will be a additional tryouts at thebeginning of school and after fall sports that willallow the coaching staff to potentially add moreplayers to the 6th period class. This is when final cutsoccur.
4. How often do players make the team after notparticipating in the summer session A. Almost every season players make the teamwithout participating during the summer. Althoughthere is no guarantee or promise because it dependson who tries out, the player’s skill level, theircoachability and long term potential.5. How many players are on the Frosh/Soph team? A. Another great question without an absoluteanswer. The coaching staff will determine how manyplayers make the team depending on the thingsmentioned above.
6. Who makes the decision on who is invited tothe 6th period class and about final cuts? A. The Frosh/Soph coaching staff along withCoach Amaral and the Varsity staff collaborate inthe decision making.7. Why is it the Frosh/Soph team A. Both Freshman and Sophomores can playon the team. The team USUALLY will have moreFreshman than Sophomores
8. Can you play another sport? A. Yes absolutely9. What if I play football or another fall sport? A. Great! After your season of sport you willeither come out and join the team or have theopportunity to tryout.
10. What does the summer program consist of? A. The program consists of the coaching staffworking with players on individual skills, fundamentals,defense and overall program philosophies. Players willcompete against each other in practice and versus otherschools in summer leagues and tournaments.11. What are the expenses?A. MBAF charges for the class. This does not cover themajority of cost for the summer. The basketball programalso asks for a contribution to take care of the cost ofcoaches, leagues and tournaments. All players also receivea reversible practice jersey.
12. How many days a week will the class meet duringthe summer? A. At least four days a week during thescheduled time. In addition players will be invited tocome to games in the evening. Some players will alsobe invited to the tournaments which are played onthe weekends.13. What if I can’t make a game? A. If you are invited and cannot make it just letyour coach know! There is no penalty for not makinga game during the summer.
14. Where are the games? A. Most games are played locally. One of theweekend tournaments is usually held furtheraway.15. How do we get to games during the summer? A. Parents provide rides to the games in thesummer. There are no buses until the regularseason. If you need help finding a ride ask yourcoach!
16. What if I am playing another sport in thesummer? A. Basketball practices are not at the sametime as the other sports. If practices overlap eachother a little or you have two games on the samenight all we ask is that you do your best to sharetime. Communicating the scheduling conflictswith your coach is always a good idea too!
1. Players get a chance to work on their skills andknowledge of basketball over the summer session2. Players earn PE credits that go towardsgraduation3. All players will participate in games during thesummer. However not all players will get invitedto all the games4. Interact with the coaching staff at all levelsincluding Varsity Head Coach; Coach Amaral5. Catch the eye of the Frosh/Soph staff
1. That’s okay- you can still make the team2. Listen to the school bulletin in September forwhen basketball tryouts will take place3. Contact the coach directly through email!Details at the end of slideshow. ** High School coaches cannot have advancecontact with a player or their parent(s) until thatplayer graduates from 8th grade. Don’t take itpersonal if they don’t reply until then!!**
Thank you for your time and we hope to seemany of you this summer!!Jeff AmaralMira Costa Boys BasketballHead Coachjamaral444@hotmail.com