1. The Origin of Reggaeton By: Sabrina Michel Pd. 4
2. What is Reggaeton? <ul><li>Reggaeton is a combination of Jamaican reggae and various forms of Latin American music. It originated in Panama in the 1970s and expanded throughout the Spanish-speaking world during the next two decades. Reggaeton hit the U.S. market in the 1990s, sparking a great wave of new artists. The main feature that separates Reggaeton from other music genres is its use of a unique rhythm known as "Dem Bow." </li></ul><ul><li>Retrieved from: http://www.ehow.com/facts_5132930_reggaeton-music.html </li></ul>
3. History of Reggaeton <ul><li>During the 1970s, a number of Panamanian artists began to produce reggaeton music. As it evolved throughout many Spanish-speaking countries, it took on more elements of Latin American musical influences. So it originated in Panama. </li></ul><ul><li>Reggaeton gained popularity in the 1990s in the United States. Latino youth helped to support the number of artists that began to be released. Artists such as DJ Playero, Daddy Yankee and Don Chezina were among the most successful in regards to album sales. </li></ul>
4. What is special about Reggaeton? <ul><li>The most notable feature in the music of reggaeton is the specific rhythm incorporated in the music. This rhythm is known as "Dem Bow," a combination of West Indian reggae and Latin American beats from bomba, salsa and merengue. </li></ul><ul><li>Lyrically, reggaeton uses many of the same elements as hip hop. Reggaeton uses a combination of rapping and singing to express its message. Usual themes include dancing, partying, life stories and love songs. </li></ul><ul><li>Reggaeton is the most popular in Panama and Puerto Rico, where it originated. However, reggaeton has found increased success in Colombia, Cuba, Dominican Republic and Venezuela. In the United States, reggaeton became popular with those of Latino heritage and, during the early 21st century, it began to gain notoriety in Spain. </li></ul>
9. Puerto Rico OR Panama?
10. Panama OR Puerto Rico Cont. <ul><li>The misunderstanding of the origins of Reggaeton are that many people think it came from Puerto Rico, but it actually came from the Jamaican influences of the Panamanian population at the time. But many say that the sounds of reggaeton sound similar to those of Puerto Rico and that’s why there is such a huge debate on the true origin. </li></ul><ul><li>The Caribbean's migrated to Panama in order to work on the Panama Canal that was being constructed in the early 20 th century. </li></ul>
11. Modern Reggaeton <ul><li>Today Reggaeton still has it’s influence on many Latino-Americans and others. </li></ul><ul><li>An artist that many know without even thinking is Daddy Yankee as well as Don Omar. </li></ul>
12. Thanks for Watching!!! Musical Selection: Gasolina by Daddy Yankee And all Videos retrieved from Youtube.com …thank you!