-Darshan Narkar (13017)
-Isha Aggarwal (13033)
-Ishan Khanna (13034)
-Mausumi Sen (13042)
-Kaustubbhi Chaturvedi (13093)
• William Henry "Bill" Gates (born October 28,
1955) is an American business magnate, investor,
programmer, inventor and philanthropist.
• Gates is the former chief executive and current
chairman of Microsoft, the world’s largest
personal-computer softwarecompany, which he
co-founded with Paul Allen.
• Gates is one of the best-known entrepreneurs of
the personal computer revolution.
• Gates was born in a prominient & wealthy family.
• Bill gates was very much fond of computers.
He wrote his first computer program on this
machine: an implementation of tic-tac-
toe that allowed users to play games against
• At age 17, Gates formed a venture with Allen,
called Traf-O-Data, to make traffic
counters based on the Intel 8008 processor.
How did Bill Gates became a leader?
• Bill Gates is born with a highly technical bent
• It is a gift of god to him.
• Microsoft has earned lots of success through
this technical mind.
• From day one, Gates dreamt of having a
personal computer in every home, in every
business and in every school.
• Throughout his career, he never once wavered
from this dream.
• Focusing on software as the means to
popularize the PC, Gates built his empire
around this central vision and steered clear of
all other distractions.
• And, the vision continues till today.
• “We are not even close to finishing the basic
dream of what the PC can be,” he says.
• His philanthropic nature proves it all.
• His continuous passion makes him a great
leader of all times.
Characteristics Of Bill Gates
1.Intelligent-He believes that if you are
intelligent and know how to apply
your intelligence, you can achieve anything.
• From childhood Bill was
ambitious, intelligent and competitive.
• These qualities helped him to attain top
position in the profession he chose.
2.Visionary-Bill Gate’s vision is "A computer on
every desk and Microsoft software on every
computer he will continue to stomp out the
competition until he dies.
• Every business and household must have a
computer and must run Microsoft software”,
was the basic guiding vision of Bill Gates.
3.Passion-When as a student at the Harvard
University, every single student would have
wanted to be part of the great institute and
graduate to be successful, Bill Gates decided to
stop studying and pursue his dream of writing
software’s for every computer in the world.
• He was just passionate about software,
coding and technology that incidentally also
made him the richest man in the world.
4.Innovation-Gates and Allen were assisted by a
staff of six, which included
• In late 1977, Gates released a version of
FORTRAN language for microcomputers.
• In 1978, Gates and Allen introduced a version
• Around this time, Microsoft emerged as the
market leader in microcomputer languages
with sales exceeding $1 million.
• In1979, Microsoft developed a new version of
• He had an early interest in software and began
programming computers at the age
5.Risk Breaker-In his junior year, Gates dropped
out of Harvard to devote his energies full
time to Microsoft, a company he had started
in 1975 with his boyhood friend Paul Allen
development of new products.
6.Continuous Learner-“Microsoft is not about
greed. It’s about Innovation and Fairness.” –
• Never stop learning was the Mantra of Bill
Gates which he follows till date.
• This empowers him to be a Great Leader of
• He will always be remembered as an Icon
and even without his presence in Microsoft
he would still be regarded as a great inventor
in Business, Technology and Entrepreneurship.
• Accepting the criticisms-Its fine to celebrate
success but it is more important to heed the
lessons of failure.
• There will be people who would want to make
fun of your efforts, pull you down and so on.
• The stronger you stand the bolder you get
the faster these negatives wither.
• When IBM pulled out of the contract for the
operating system to
be bundled with the IBM Clone PCs, Bill Gates
stayed on and started focusing on the creating
Windows amidst lots of hiccups that will
hamper the company.
Achievements Of Bill Gates
• 1975-Founded Micro-Soft now known as
Microsoft with Paul Allen his childhood friend
in New Mexico.
• 1975-Became the CEO of Microsoft.
• 1981-Became president and chairman of the
• 1987-At the age of 31 he became the
• 1992-Awarded ‘National Medal of Technology for
Technological Achievement by President George
• 1994-CEO of the year in Chief Executive Officer’s
• 1999-Sunday Times included his name in its Power
• 2000-Founded Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation,
with his wife.
• 2002-He was dubbed “richest man in the world” by
Forbes Magazine for the eighth year as of 2002.
• 2005-Time Magazine named him one of the
100 most influential people of the previous
century and he had the honour of being
named of the magazine’s “Person Of The
• 2005-On February 3,Queen Elizabeth II
bestowed upon Gates the honorary title of
Knight Commander of the order of the British
• 2006-He was awarded as the Innovator of the
• 2006-Order of the Aztec Eagle (Mexico’s
highest declaration for a forger.
• 2010-Bower Award for Business Leadership
from the Franklin Institute.
• 2010-Silver Buffalo Award (Boy Scouts of
America’s highest award)
• He wrote two books, The Road Ahead (1995)
and Business At The Speed Of Thought (1999)
• He gave 28 billion dollars to charity as of 2007
• IBM contracted him for the development of
their first Personal Computer.
• Berkshire Hathaway, an investment company,
approached him to be the Director of the
• He is the world's third richest person (As per
the survey done in 2008)
• He has received doctorates from various
universities and institutes
like Harvard University and The Royal
Institute of Technology.
• By hiring the best and the brightest and carrying
out work in small teams that stimulate free and
creative thinking, Bill Gates has managed to
retain its competitive edge for over three
• Though he never set out to be a millionaire,
Gates not only became the world’s first cent
billionaire in 1999, but also one of the world’s
most respected entrepreneurs for having
revolutionized the world of computers and
setting new industry standards.