Find out what you're missing, and don't be scared to make mistakes as you learn.
Features my favourite social media story from a UK Politician.
Delivered by @Digitangle for Worsley Business Lounge @WBLounge
Social Media for Business: Don't be scared to make mistakes
What are you missing?
#trends — Social Media for 2014
Now there are :
• Over 1.15 billion Facebook
• Over 360 million Google+
• Over 215 million Twitter active users
Social Media in
• 72% of internet users actively use
• It has become part of our lives,
and those born after 1990 are
Want to be in front of your target
You think you’re not technical enough?
• The most serious mistakes in social
media are ignoring social norms.
• The most common mistake is spammy
selling in a social environment. You
wouldn’t start selling watches at a
Technical mistakes are often forgiven
…and if you’re lucky, cherished, for example…
Have a sense of humor if it happens to
On the second anniversary of the original tweet:
#twitter — Updates & Activities
• Share interesting content from
• Communicate news updates and
activities like research, events
and new products.
• Participate in occasional one-on-
• Schedule posts if you have a lot
to say right now… you can
#facebook — Ways To Get Started
• Learn from the best and follow:
• Companies in your industry
• People/organisations that you find interesting or entertaining
• Encourage your customers to comment, like, and share their
• Add photos to your updates
• Add geographic-targeting to new updates (e.g., if you have
shops or offices in a specific locations)
#google+ — Benefits
• Can improve visibility
when customers search
for your services.
• It’s a bit of a quiet party
right now. You can get
established while your
competitors are sleeping.
• Add people to circles to
build relevant networks.
#youtube & #vimeo — Video Content
• Can be used for content such as
music videos, live concerts or
shows, video guides, customer
• There are less people producing
good video content than text
• Can you capitalize on this?
Experiment and have fun
• Track your results – e.g. with
• Google Analytics
• Buffer App
• Customer feedback
• Facebook insights
• Keep testing
• Keep learning
Thanks for listening!
For more information sign up to my newsletter: