2. • I teach my pupils English and German.• I encourage young people to keep an open mind.• I trust them and help them improve their skills so they can thrive.• I guide them on their way to discover who they really are and what they want to achieve in life.• I reach out for them when they need advice.• I teach them how to be critical about the world they are part of.• I show them the importance of human values, such as respect, understanding, responsibility, …• I inspire them to be creative.• I connect with them using new technologies.• I learn from them.• …• In other words: I am a teacher. “Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lightning of a fire” – W.B. Yeats
3. As chairwoman of the kindergarten’s parent-teacher association I took the initiative to improve the children’s playground. I encouraged and managed a team of volunteers to achieve this goal. (2006-2007) I am still member of the PTA (elementary school) From 2007 onwards I have been learning more about highly gifted children in order to coach them in and outside school and to inform colleagues. 18 January 2012 I joined the Edushock group. We regularly meet to think about the future of education in Belgium and through actions such as “Edushock leerfestival” we want to inspire others. I have already organised inspiration sessions at my own school, both for teachers and for pupils. http://www.edushock.be/
4. Suikerstraat 30, 9340 Lede 17 September 1974 (Aalst) 9 April 1999 – 3 children: Elise, Lucas en Arthur 1986-1992: SVI Gijzegem – ASO WB (science and languages) 1992-1996: Vrije Universiteit Gent: Master Germanic languages:English/German teacher’s certificate HSO (secondary education)1996-present: SVI Gijzegem: language teacher (English, German) coach highly gifted children contact summer school “Dublin4English”
5. : mother tongue: excellent (studies, work, leisure time): excellent (studies, work, leisure time): good (knowledge and skills from secondary school, leisure time): basic (1 September 2012 I started evening education combined with self-teaching)
6. o “Flow is the mental state of operation in which a person performing an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and enjoyment in the process of the activity. In essence, flow is characterized by complete absorption in what one does (…) flow is completely focused motivation. (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
7. This is exactly what I experience when I am working on aproject (such as Edushock) that involves brain storming,bringing together and encouraging people, planning andorganizing, thinking outside the box, the sense of doingsomething useful for the community and having impacton the situation, writing about it, connecting with peopleboth through social media and in real life, being able tobe surrounded with experts and achieving a commongoal. If you want to find out more about me and my flow I am more than willing to state my motives in person.