On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
Laboratory Safety Information Always Remember: Safety First! These guidelines are important. It is possible to do serious damage in the Computer Lab- both to yourself and to some expensive equipment. Please, follow these guidelines!
Most people equate the severity of electric shock with the voltage, i.e., a 1,000-V shock is deadlier than a 100-V shock. This is not true. The real measure of a shock is the amount of current that flows through the body. Table below lists the impact of ac (alternating) current on the body:
Laboratory Safety Information The amount of the current flowing through the body during an electric shock depends on the voltage and the resistance between the terminals of the voltage source. This resistance consists of: resistance of the contact point between body and circuit (e.g., a ring or a watch), (2) skin resistance at the point the current flows into the body, (3) internal resistance of body, (4) skin resistance where current flows out of the body (e.g., shoes). Obviously, the larger the resistance, the smaller would be the current.
Laboratory Safety Information Therefore, in order to minimize the electric shock hazard: Always power down the electrical equipment, disconnect the power cord, and wait for a few seconds before touching exposed wires. Remember that circuit breakers are usually set for much larger currents (e.g., household breakers are at 15 A and higher) than the current that kill a person (200-300 mA). Do not assume that because your circuit is powered with 5 V, it is not dangerous. In some circuits, capacitors can be charged to a much higher voltage and give you a nasty surprise. Death by electrocution has been reported at a voltage as low as 42 V (DC).
Laboratory Safety Information (2) Do not wear rings, watches, necklace, and any other loose metallic objects.
Rings and watches are specially dangerous as the skin beneath them is wet by sweat, making the resistance of skin much lower.
(3) Make sure that your hand are dry.
Resistance of wet skin can be as low as 1 kOhm as opposed to dry skin which is about 500 kOhm.
Laboratory Safety Information (4) Make sure that your shoes are dry (specially in rainy days).
Do not lean on metallic objects (like legs of the bench tables) as you are providing a very large contact area for the current to flow out of your body to ground.
In case of electric shock, cut the power and/or remove the victim as quickly as possible without endangering yourself. If the power switch is not readily available (remember the Lab Emergency Shut-Off Power switch), use an insulating material such as dry wood, rope, belt, etc. The resistance of body decreases during a shock so action should not be delayed. Send someone to call for help immediately.
If the victim is unconscious and has stopped breathing, start artificial respiration at once. Do not stop until a medical authority has arrived and taken over. Do not stop even if the victim does not have a pulse.
Laboratory Safety Information (5) Don’t open the computer’s power supply or monitor.
There is nothing inside either that can be repaired except by a professional, but there are many things that can injure you.
(6) Watch out for sharp metal edges!
Laboratory Safety Information Summary . . . Always power down the electrical equipment, disconnect the power cord, and wait for a few seconds before touching exposed wires. (2) Do not wear rings, watches, necklace, and any other loose metallic objects. (3) Make sure that your hand are dry. (4) Make sure that your shoes are dry (specially in rainy days) (5) Don’t open the computer’s power supply or monitor. (6) Watch out for sharp metal edges!
Additional Lab Safety Rules: Protecting the Equipment: In the Computer Lab…
Please, no food or drink near the computers!
Always shut down the computer via Windows’ Start button
Use a surge protector to keep excess electric power from damaging your computer (i.e.AVR, UPS...)
Unplug the computer or turn off the wall socket when the machine is not in use.
Excessive heat can damage the computers. Please ensure that the room temperature stays cool.
Motion can damage some computer components. Try to move laptop computers as little as possible, especially when the hard drive or the floppy drive is whirring.
Always have at least two copies of all your important files, in case the worse happens! Especially in busy offices, the data on your computer is soon more valuable than the hardware itself.
Turn off the computer when not in use. Like a car engine, parts wear out after a certain ‘mileage’!
Additional Lab Safety Rules: When working inside of a computer case…
Beware of static electricity!
The mild shock that would startle you can destroy the sensitive electronics inside of a computer. Wear an anti-static strap to ensure that you are “grounded” to the PC.
Do not touch any of the circuit boards directly!
If you must add or remove them, please handle them by their edges. They can be damaged, and the fingerprints that you leave behind can cause short circuits
Especially, do not touch the gold or silver contacts where the component connects to the motherboard!
Keep dust away from the computers. This can cause short circuits
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! KEEP SAFETY prepared by: Jerome GunoLuison