1. THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE HR THOUGHTS ON JOB HUNTING &INTERVIEW Katherine Chin Asian College of Technology September 21, 2011
2. THE HUNT
3. THE POSITION Know the position The skills The availability
4. THE SEARCH* Your School* Job Fairs* Newspapers* Postings* Online Job Postings* Referrals
5. THE SUBMISSIONCover Letter & ResumeEmailHand Carry Little Note: Clean your Facebook
6. SELLING YOUR SELF The interview
7. INTERVIEW◊ Your time to shine◊ Notes primarily your verbal-linguistic intelligence and logical skills, but also takes note of your body language and attitude◊ Starts with warm-up questions◊ Looks into your family background◊ Comprehensive look into your image and personality, may take 10-40 minutes
8. TYPES OF INTERVIEW Phone Interview Video Call Interview One-on-one interview Group Interview Panel Interview
9. THE PREPARATION Know where the location of the office is Try to learn about the interviewer Know about the company Prepare hardcopy of cover letter & resume Research the salary range of position desired Mock interviews Sleep
10. DON’T WEAR… Plunging necklines Clinging skirts Loud, shocking colors Short skirts, shorts Tight clothes See-through fabrics Large jingly jewelry Sundresses Childish clothes Wrinkled or soiled clothes
11. 10 MAJOR POINTS FOR INTERVIEWS1. Arrive on time2. Introduce yourself in a courteous manner3. Firm handshake4. Listen5. Use body language to show interest6. Give concise answers7. Smile and nod8. Ask questions9. Thank the interviewer10.Write a thank you letter, email, or note
12. THE BASIC QUESTIONS Where did you learn about the hiring? What do you know about the company? Why our company? Tell me about yourself. What is your weakness? What can you give to our company? Why you?
13. THE BEHAVIOR-BASED QUESTIONS Situations (e.g. how you handle any kind of adversity) Include details (who, what, when, where, how?) What was your primary role? Example: Let’s say your boss scolded you for no reason at all. How do you deal with it?
14. AVOID BLOPPERS Showering and Stammering Too much ‘basically’ and ‘actually’, Open blouse, zipper Cold, clammy hands Taking a seat right away Redundancies (e.g. qualified expert, meet together, postponed until later, main essentials, repeat again)
15. ACING AND ICING Truth only, even if truth hurts, but you may put yourself in a better light Be bubbly, quick, and witty NEVER negotiate pay on the first interview KNOW the company as if you are part of the company already Be interested in the job details Prepare for discrimination, but capitalize on strengths, your credentials
16. BASIS HOW HR CHOOSE The set of skills The answers for the behavior-based questions The attitude The availability The salary range
17. THE EQUATIONRight Skills + Right Attitude + Rate + Availability = YOU’RE HIRED!!!
18. • “Where are the youth who will dedicatetheir idealism, innocence,good of the“Where are the youth who will dedicate their innocence, their their enthusiasm to the theircountry?”- Dr. Jose P. Rizal - idealism, their enthusiasm to the good of the country?” • - Dr. Jose P. Rizal -