What is ANDROID? It is a Linux-based operating system for mobile devices such as smart phones and tabletcomputers, developed by Google in conjunction with the Open Handset Alliance.
People Behind...Palo Alto, California, United States in October 2003 by Andy Rubin (co-founder of Danger), Rich Miner (co-founder of Wildfire Communications, Inc.), Nick Sears (once VP at T-Mobile), and Chris White (headed design and interface development at WebTV)
Design Android consists of a kernel based onthe Linux kernel 2.6and Linux Kernel 3.x(Android 4.0 onwards),with middleware, libraries and APIs writtenin C andapplication softwarerunning onan application frameworkwhich includes Java-compatible libraries based on ApacheHarmony.
WHAT’S IN IT• Handset layouts The platform is adaptable to larger, VGA, 2D graphics library, 3D graphics library based on OpenGL ES 2.0 specifications, and traditional smartphone layouts.• Storage SQLite, a lightweight relational database, is used for data storage purposes.
• Connectivity Android supports connectivity technologies including GSM/EDGE, IDEN, CDMA, EV- DO, UMTS, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, LTE, NFC and WiMAX• Messaging SMS and MMS are available forms of messaging, including threaded text messaging and Android Cloud To Device Messaging (C2DM) and now enhanced version of C2DM, Android Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) is also a part of Android Push Messaging service.• Multiple language support Android supports multiple languages.
• Media support• Streaming media support• Additional hardware support Android can use video/still cameras, touch screens, GPS, accelerometers, gyroscopes, barometers, magn etometers, dedicated gaming controls, proximity and pressure sensors, thermometers, accelerated 2D bit blits(with hardware orientation, scaling, pixel format conversion) and accelerated 3D graphics.
• Multi-touch Android has native support for multi-touch which was initially made available in handsets such as the HTC Hero. The feature was originally disabled at the kernel level (possibly to avoid infringing Apples patents on touch-screen technology at the time Bluetooth
• Video calling Android does not support native video calling, but some handsets have a customized version of the operating system that supports it, either via the UMTS network (like the Samsung Galaxy S) or over IP.• Multitasking Multitasking of applications, with unique handling of memory allocation, is available.
• Voice based features• Tethering Android supports tethering, which allows a phone to be used as a wireless/wired Wi-Fi hotspot.• Screen capture Android supports capturing a screenshot by pressing the power and volume-down buttons at the same time
• External storage Most Android devices include microSD slot and can read microSD cards formatted with FAT32, Ext3 or Ext4 file system. To allow use of high-capacity storage media such as USB flash drivesandUSB HDDs, many Android tablets also include USB A receptacle. Storage formatted with FAT32 is handled by Linux Kernel VFAT driver, while 3rd party solutions are required to handle other popular file systems such as NTFS, HFS Plusand exFAT.
TOP 10 ANDROID PHONES
• HTC One S • Samsung Galaxy Nexus The HTC One S is the ultimate The best Android phone to date, the Galaxy Nexus dazzles with its multimedia phone, from gaming curved display, sleek design, fast to music to snapping high quality performance, and, of course, the photos. Ice Cream Sandwich update.
• HTC Rezound • T-Mobile MyTouch 4G If you can deal with subpar Slide battery life, the HTC Rezound is The MyTouch 4G Slide has one of an excellent phone that wont the best cameras weve ever feel outdated anytime soon. tested--and the rest of the phone is pretty amazing as well.
• Motorola DROID RAZR • Samsung Epic Touch 4G MAXX The slim and speedy Samsung The Droid Razr Maxx packs in a Epic Touch 4G is excellent for dual-core processor, large battery gaming, Web browsing and and LTE in a very thin frame. watching video, but the plasticky design feels a bit on the cheap side.
• Motorola Droid Razr • Motorola Droid Bionic The long-awaited Droid Bionic is The thin and elegant Motorola blazing fast and has a slew of Droid Razr is smoking when it great entertainment and business comes to data speeds and features, but the high price might performance, but the short make it a hard sell. battery life is a disappointment.
• Samsung Galaxy S II (T- HTC Evo 3D Mobile) Uneven call quality doesnt stop the Evo 3D from being the best Like the rest of the Galaxy S II phone currently available on series, the Galaxy S II on T-Mobile Sprint. is one of the best phones currently available, hands down.
Advantage andDisadvantage ofAndroid Phones
ADVANTAGES• MULTITASKING• Notification- you can easily see your notification through SMS• Android application market- games, lifestyles and themes are some application that can be found.• Can install a modified ROM• Widget – absolutely right, with the widgets on the home screen, You can easily access a variety of settings quickly and easily.• Google Maniac – If you are a loyal user of Google services ranging from Gmail to Google Reader
DISADVANTAGES:• continuous Internet connection – Yups, most Android phones require a simultaneous Internet connection alias continuously active. that means must be prepared to subscribe Agan GPRS packet that suits your needs.• Advertising – Application in the Android phones can indeed be obtained easily and for free, but the consequences in each of these applications, will always be ads on display, either the top or bottom of the application