3. Why TPACK?• Introducing technology to teaching is not enough – need to integrate (“mesh”)• Essential for effective teaching.• Need to embrace technology and use it wisely in teaching – engage with tech savvy students.• Can use technology to make subjects easier to learn and to build on student’s existing knowledge
4. TPACK elements • Subject matter that is to be learnt and taught • Varies between subjects • Teachers must have good content knowledge“What toteach”
5. TPACK elements • Methods of teaching and learning • Involved in student learning, classroom management, creating lesson plans, evaluating student“How to understanding.teach”
6. TPACK elements • Technology can be standard or advanced • Standard – books, blackboard / whiteboard • Advanced – computers, mobile phones, iPad, iPod, voice recorders, scanners, Internet, video • Includes skills to be able“Tech- to use these technologieshead”
7. So what if you “mesh” “What to “How to teach” teach”
8. Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK)• Content and pedagogy blended together• Describes how to teach specific subject content.• Teacher interprets subject content and presents/teaches it in different (interesting) ways• PCK represents the most regularly taught topics in a subject, and the most useful way to teach it so that students “get it”• Includes the pre-existing knowledge that students bring to the subject
9. And then if you “mesh” all three?“What to “How to “Tech-teach” teach” head”
11. How does this affect teachers?• Some have not embraced the new technology – Fear of change – Lack of support – Lack of time – Technology didn’t change much in past (meaning teachers didn’t have to worry about learning new technology and could focus on content and pedagogy)• Technology changing so quickly – teachers will have to be “on top of” new technology as it emerges.
12. Things to think about …• Technology workshop and PD sessions for teachers are not enough – don’t give the skills and confidence needed to “mesh” this technology into a subject/class.“Knowing how to use technology is not the same as knowing how to teach it” (Mishra & Koehler, 2006)• Software changes so quickly – outdated knowledge or constant retraining• Inappropriate technology for education – most software developed for business
13. Ways forward…Learning technology by design• Sustainable way for teachers to learn new technological skills while “meshing” content, pedagogy and technology• Hands on, learning by doing approach• Problems reflect the real world• ICT for Learning Design one example!!