Prompt: In this unit, we have studied a variety of writings, from both Native
American culture and Colonial American culture that express strong
belief in a divine creator, or, in some cases, creators. Using the texts
and the historical background readings from this unit as evidence,
describe the importance of a divine creator to both cultures.
• Underline or highlight the key things in the prompt
• Remember, the first thing essays are graded on are whether or not they
give me what is asked
• Next, draft a thesis statement (first sentence of your introduction) that
rephrases the prompt
• Your introduction should outline your entire essay
• Thesis statement
• Mention the two works (plus authors and genres) that you’ll
• A brief sentence for each work about how they relate the the
• A conclusion
• At least one per work
• Answer the following questions within your BP
1. What role did their creator(s) play in each culture?
2. How did each group perceive their creator and his/her/its relationship
3. How does each creator reflect the value of the respective culture to
which it is associated?
4. How is each creator described in the particular texts from this unit
Be sure to include at least 2 direct quotes in each BP
CONCLUSION AND FINISHING UP
• Your conclusion should not just rehash what you’ve already
• Think of what “big picture” statements you can make about
the topic in general, or any conclusions you can to
• Finishing up
• Be sure to proofread your essay, you don’t want to lose points
for silly mistakes
• What you turn in should be your BEST work
• Be sure to read it over and make sure you’ve done everything
you were supposed to
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.