EditingScreen grabs and detailedannotations of editing the documentary.
Firstly, we cut down our vox pops and placed them at the beginning of the timeline. Using the screenon the left we watched our full filmed footage and used the bracket tools to cut out the question andthe clip that we wanted. We then dragged the selected clip down onto the time line and pressed playand watched it on the right hand side of the screen. This was easy to do but sometimes really fineediting had to be done so that we could correctly edit the question out.
To edit our cut aways we had to cut down each one to less than 2 seconds so that when we hadthem all one after each other it did not last more than ten seconds. We again had to use thebracket tools to cut each clip down to a maximum of 1 second and then drag it onto the timelineone after another. When they were all on the timeline we then added an effect so that they ransmoothly into one another. We chose cross dissolve and we simply clicked the word on the lefthand side and dragged the box over the clip on the timeline.
In order to add our cut aways we had to watch all 80+ and pick which ones where the most suitable andlooked like appropriate filming and were not shaken or too short/long. We then added them to thetimeline all in order after the milks with the cross dissolve effect. On this image you can also see thecross dissolve effect over the clips of the milk.
Before we even began our documentary we had to complete target audience research. As a result of this we found that semi skimmedwas the most popular milk type. This is key information that we could include in our documentary, but we did not just want it to bementioned on the voice over, we wanted to show off our publisher skills. To do this we decided to create a graph which would showclearly that semi skimmed was the most popular over the other two most popular; whole and skimmed milk. We then made the graph gofrom low to high by adding a new title of the graph being higher as it got further into the documentary. To do this we had to create a title.We then had to create the graph axis with straight lines and the graphs with boxes which where then filled in with colour. In order tocreate the growing effect of the graphs we had to make separate titles that grew higher each time that would be put on top of each otherand a cross dissolve effect would be edited on.
When our interview was cut down and added on to the timeline, we then had to add cutaways which related to the interview that we could put between each cut of question andany time that the interviewee looked at the camera or that the camera zoomed in andchanged shot. We placed these images or videos above the interview and took off thesound using the mute button at the left hand side of the timeline, so that it was still therebut we could hear the interview over the cut away.
We then had to edit our interview with the nurse from NHS clatterbridge hospital. We used the sametechnique of bracket tool and cutting the sections to drag onto the timeline. We then realised that some of heranswers were irrelevant and that we did not need them. Instead of deleting and using bracket tool to re cutthem, we cut them while they where on the timeline using the razor tool. This split the section we cut fromthe sections that we needed before we decided to add cutaways.
We then recorded another interview with a dinner lady from our school about free school milk that they give tochildren who are on free dinners. We had to zoom in to her interview as it was framed too far away. We did this byusing the drop down arrow and then changing it to make it small and double clicking on the video and zooming inby dragging the corners to make it bigger. We then had to move the NHS interview back so we highlighted thewhole interview and moved it further down the timeline to create room for this smaller interview.