What is leadership?
1. In your own words define Leadership
2. What attributes does a leader need to fulfil
3. What do leaders not do?
4. In your own words, explain one style of
What is leadership?
• The art of leadership is saying no, not saying yes.
It is very easy to say yes - Tony Blair
• A sense of humour is part of the art of
leadership, of getting along with people, of
getting things done - Dwight D Eisenhower
• We need not just a new generation of leadership
but a new gender of leadership – Bill Clinton
• To lead people, walk beside them
• One measure of leadership is the calibre of
people who choose to follow you - Dennis Peer
• Management is doing things right; leadership is
doing the right things – Peter F Drucker
• A leader leads by example, whether he intends to
or not - Unknown
• Remember the difference between a boss and a
leader. A boss says, Go! A leader says, Let's go!
- E.M. Kelly
• Leadership is not magnetic personality — that
can just as well be a glib tongue. It is not ‘making
friends and influencing people’ — that is flattery.
Leadership is lifting a person’s vision to high
sights, the raising of a person’s performance to a
higher standard, the building of a personality
beyond its normal limitations.
Leadership attributes (CIPD, 2009)
• General intelligence
• Technical or professional
• The ability to inspire
• Lead by example
• Clear vision
• Good Listener
• Positive atmosphere
• Not to be too serious
Leadership attributes (G Roworth, 2005)
• A leader must have vision,
• Must be an entrepreneur,
• Must inspire others,
• Must set standards,
• Must orchestrate methods,
• Must understand people
• And must measure results
1. Are leaders born or made?
2. Which can organisation’s survive easier,
poor leadership or poor management?
3. What factors prevent leaders from
4. So how can we support the development of
leaders in our team or organisation?
Leadership vs. Management
• What is the difference?
– Doing things right
and doing the right
– Stability vs.
– Instruction vs.
– Short vs. long term
– Implementer vs.
– Control vs. trust
– Maintenance vs.
We know leadership is part of management function
If this function is not performed what happens?
Are all managers leaders? Vice versa?
Lewin’s Original 3
“There is nothing so practical as a good theory ““
Leadership styles - Goleman
• Coercive – do what I tell you
• Authoritative – come with me
• Affiliative – people come first
• Democratic – what do you think?
• Pacesetting – do as I do, now
• Coaching – try this
Action Centred Leadership Model
“Teamwork is no accident. It is the by-
product of good leadership”
Ask the Coach.flv
1.1. How is the role of leadership changing?How is the role of leadership changing?
1.1. What qualities are timeless?What qualities are timeless?
2.2. What qualities will be needed in theWhat qualities will be needed in the
2.2. What is meant by learning agility?What is meant by learning agility?
3.3. How and why should you manage yourHow and why should you manage your