1. Listening Effectively to Others Two levels: Content- What they say.Relational-How they say what they say. It conveys feelings, emotion, & attitude
2. Listening – Why?O Information is useless if it is not used.O Knowledge is information made useful.O Listening – helps us transform information to knowledge as we understand and use the information.
3. An effective way to ListenO Stop!O Look!O Listen!
4. STOP!O Disengage from things competing for attention O Physically and mentally – turn off phone, stop working at the computer, etc.O Use the SOLER Method O S: Squarely face the person. O O: Open the body position. (unfold arms) O L: Lean toward the person O E: Eye contact O R: Relax
5. LOOK!O “Listen” with your eyesO We decode and interpret relational messages with our eyes.O In the workplace people don’t always speak their mind, we must “read” them visually.O If we are not looking we may miss important cues given by their body language.
6. LISTEN!O Listen to what they are sayingO There are different listening styles. Knowing what listening style you are can help you listen more effectively. Some prefer: O The whole picture and then details, while others like: O The details and then whole picture.
7. ListeningO It is hard to listen if you are thinking of what you will say next O Example – when conducting the interview, I found it difficult to focus on what was being said and hard not to think about what to ask next.O Listening is other centered not self centered.
8. To listen wellO Listen for main ideas O If you struggle to get the main points - ask yourself prequestions. (pg. 80)O Listen for details O If you miss the details – ask!O Link the main ideas with the details O Use elaboration strategies (pg 80 ) and listen actively
9. Discussion QuestionsO How do you prepare yourself to listen?O In what ways has looking at a person while they were speaking increased your understanding of what they were saying?