• Future Force Warrior was a United Statesmilitary advanced technology demonstrationproject that was part of the Future CombatSystems project.• The FFW project sought to create alightweight, fully integrated infantrymancombat system.• The Future Force Warrior concept envisionedthe radical use of technologies such asnanotechnology, powered exoskeletons, andmagnetorheological fluid-based body armour toprovide the infantry with significantly higherforce multiplier than the opposing force.• This concept was meant to serve as an endgoal to strive to reach or to compromise withcurrent technologies and to stir imaginationand dialogue on how these technologies andconcepts could help soldiers in the near future.
BASIC FEATURES• The Headgear Subsystem:The Headgear Subsystem wasthe situational awareness hubof the system. It was intendedto include integrated tacticalprocessing by providingmaps, routes, and data with a180° emissive visordisplay, high bandwidthwirelesscommunications, microelectronic/optics combat sensor suitethat provides 360° situationalawareness, and integratedsmall arms protection.
• Combat Uniform Sub-system: Described as"Survivability Central“ , wasintended to contain a trio oflayers, "the Protective OuterLayer, the Power CentricLayer, and the Life CriticalLayer."• Microclimate CoolingSystem: The MicroclimateCooling System, built into theLife Critical Layer, would havebeen a network of narrowtubing to provide heating orcooling to the soldier, up to100 watts.
• Warfighter PhysiologicalStatus Monitor Subsystem:WPSM was intended to be anon-board physiological andmedical sensor suite thatwould collect and monitorinformation regarding vitalsigns such as bodytemperature, heart rate, bloodpressure, hydration and stresslevels, sleep status, bodypositioning and workloadcapacity of the warrior. Ifnecessary, the WPSM cannotify medics and commandersif the soldier has beenwounded or has becomefatigued.
• Power Subsystem: ThePower Subsystem, built intothe Power Centric Layer, wouldbe fed by the Duration Central,a 2 to 20 watt Micro Turbinefueled by a liquid hydrocarbonfuel pack. According to theconcept, ten ounces of fuelwould power the soldiersintegrated electronicsensemble for up to 6 days.Polymeric nano fibre batterypatches embedded in theheadgear and weapon provideback-up power for three hours.
AIR WARRIORAir Warrior was the U.S. Army’snext-generation aircrewensemble, with the final productintended to provide life support,ballistic protection, and nuclear,biological, and chemical (NBC)protection in mission-configurablemodules, and was underdevelopment with interoperabilityin mind. The system consists ofcomponents integrated tomaximize safe aircraft operationand sustain aircrews throughoutthe flight environment.
• BLOCK 1: Block 1 of the AirWarrior system provided aninitial system capabilityincluding the development,procurement, and fielding ofa micro climate coolingsystem, an integratedsurvival gear and ballisticprotection system,improved over-waterprotective equipment, and alight-weight chemical andbiological protectionensemble.
• BLOCK 2: The on goingBlock 2 technologyinsertion program providedan Electronic Data Managerand an Aircrew WirelessIntercom System.• BLOCK 3: General DynamicsC4 Systems was the Block 3Systems Integrator. TheBlock 3 system was focusedon increasing forceeffectiveness by improvingsituational awareness andsurvivability with featuressimilar to those of theHeadgear Subsystem.