On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
The Big Picture Frame
• Follow up Assignment
• Reflection Questions
• 5 Sessions
• Web Resource Page
Session 2: How To Use Blogging Platform
Session 3: The Art of Blog Writing
Session 4: Blogging: Building your
Session 5: Incorporating Bookmarks,
Photos, and Videos
• Why reading/commenting important
• How to use RSS Reader
• How to find blogs to read
• How to comment thoughtfully on blogs
Blogs are Social Media
The Trust Factor
Blogging is more than the act of writing
Blogging is not a monologue
It’s a dialogue!
Source: Alan Levine – CogDog Blog
Defining Your Beat
List your top three topics in your
For each one, get more specific and
list three top sub-topics in that
Extra credit: If you are already
reading blogs, include three blogs
that you enjoy reading about
your topic and why.
Blogs will flow through your beat ..
There are two ways to consume information on the web
• How to set up bloglines
• How to add the subscribe
bookmarklet to their browser
• How to subscribe to a blog
• How to organize and
1. Sign Up
2. Subscribe Tool
3. Add Blog Subscriptions to Your Reader
4. Organize Feeds
•Starter pack of feeds
•Adding and organizing
What is the best way to organize your
feeds for reading?
Good RSS Habits
• Set up aside a small block of time to read
your feeds everyday
• Clean house often, RSS subscriptions
tend to pile up
• Don't feel like you have to read every post
on every blog, use the quot;Mark Readquot; option
How To Find More Blogs
Do this first …
•Check out the blogrolls of
blogs you are reading
•Follow the links to other blogs
from the blogs you are reading
and add them to your reader
•Follow the links to other blogs
from people who comment on
the blogs you are reading
And add the good ones to
your reader ..
• Who's the author?
• Is the blog updated often?
• How long have they been blogging?
• How many community affiliations? (Flickr,
widgets, blogrools, badges, etc)
• Are there lots of comments?
• Is the writing good?
• Is there content that you might
incorporate into a blog post?
• If you decide to add it to your reader,
check the side bar (or blog roll) for other
Two excellent places to search …
Google Blog Search
Before you start searching
Keyword Why? What do you want
RSS Reader Improve organization of How can I be efficient
feeds reading blogs? How to
organize my feeds?
Create a spreadsheet or open a word document so you can take notes
How is this different Google Search?
•Easily filter results to see what
people are saying within last hour
•You can subscribe via RSS
Commenting on Blogs
It’s a conversation, not a monologue
• Commenting is the life blood of blogging
and key to building a community
• They’re a way to get more minds into the
• They’re a way to annotate someone’s
thoughts such that the ideas can take on
Read someone's blog post and start a
Before you leave a comment, ask yourself:
•What did they say well?
•What did they miss?
•What are other people saying
•How does it apply to you
•Ask what if?
ASSIGNMENT FOR NEXT TIME
1. Set up a RSS reader if you don’t already use
2. Add at least 5 blogs to your reader using the
3. Think about a strategy for organizing,
adding, and pruning
4. Add at least 5 blogs by referral
5. Add at least 5 blogs by searching on
Technorati or Google Blog Search
6. Add one or more Google Blog Searches to