15. http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnyhuh/ Ready to take those first Steps? It’s Fun! Trust Me!
16. Step 1: Find People
17. How to find people who are passionate about your program or ideas
19. Let’s watch it for a few minutes
22. Personal learning Program outreach Connect with potential supporters Guide students to conversations Help students discover resources Find content for instructional materials Collaboration on student or other projects And …….
23. Discovery http://www.flickr.com/photos/joehastings/ <ul><li>Brainstorm keywords </li></ul><ul><li>Technorati blog finder </li></ul><ul><li>3. Explore what you find </li></ul><ul><li>4. Ask how to incorporate into your practice? </li></ul>Demonstrate the Technorati Blog Finder!
24. Step 2: Read People’s Minds, Win Their Hearts
25. A homeless person isn’t someone you pass on your way into a fancy restaurant
27. Benefit Value Metric
28. What if …… Same tool, different feature
29. What could you learn from reading this blog and engaging in a conversation?
30. Or this one?
31. Discovery http://www.flickr.com/photos/joehastings/ 1. Brainstorm key words 2. Why useful? 3. Search in blog posts 4. Set up a watchlist 5. Check it regularly Let’s demonstrate the Technorati Post Blog Search And watchlist!
38. Individual Blogs Reflect about your practice Connect with peers Thinking out loud, thinking allowed http://www.flickr.com/photos/kk/
39. Let’s Visit Some Blogs by Extension Professionals
41. http://www.flickr.com/photos/pitel/ Let’s talk about comfort …
42. Discovery Exercise http://www.flickr.com/photos/joehastings/ <ul><li>What you want to learn/write </li></ul><ul><li>Be fearless or find a blog buddy </li></ul><ul><li>Set up a blog (blogger is free) </li></ul><ul><li>Write something everyday for 21 days </li></ul>Demo Create a blog and post in two minutes for free
43. Step 5: Use RSS as an Information Coping Tool http://www.flickr.com/photos/alismith44/
46. <ul><li>How To Find Feeds </li></ul><ul><li>Technorati Blog Finder – highly rated </li></ul><ul><li>Add feeds from blogs they recommend </li></ul><ul><li>Add feeds of blogs from commentors </li></ul><ul><li>Ask your colleagues </li></ul><ul><li>Check for feeds from favorite web sites </li></ul><ul><li>Watchlists and Search Feeds </li></ul>
47. Discovery http://www.flickr.com/photos/joehastings/ Set up bloglines account Add a few RSS feeds Make it a habit to read your feeds Blog about it Demo Show bloglines
48. Step 6: Share the face of your organization
49. Flickr for Instruction Add notes to photos Easy to Blog Findable Groups Description CC License Download
52. Discovery http://www.flickr.com/photos/joehastings/ <ul><li>1. Open account, learn basics </li></ul><ul><li>2. Set up “Blog This” </li></ul><ul><li>3. Browse photos </li></ul><ul><li>4. Check license, blog </li></ul><ul><li>Participate in a group </li></ul>
53. Step 7: Use Tagging To Share Resources
54. Social Bookmarking
56. What are some ways that Nonprofits can pick the low Take advantage of the social aspects of tagging What did you tag?
57. Anyone can access on the web! Easily forward links Subscribe to other people’s streams Browse by tag
58. Publish links to your blog!
59. Discovery Exercise http://www.flickr.com/photos/joehastings/ Attend the session on May 9 th !
60. http://www.flickr.com/photos/sylvaincarle/ Step 8: Create and Remix Content
61. A Story …
62. 2 4 3 1
64. The results …
66. Source: Creative Commons
67. Source: Creative Commons
70. User-Generated Content in An Educational Context Create collaborative, student-authored resources Enable public feedback on student assignments Give voice to communities and encourage idea sharing
72. Discovery Exercise http://www.flickr.com/photos/joehastings/ What are some ideas for collaborating with others to create/remix content? What issues come up?
75. Discovery http://www.flickr.com/photos/joehastings/ Working in MediaWiki an Article Start to Finish For May 9 th , we’ll be using this space for our tagging reflections Demo How easy it is to edit wiki
76. http://www.flickr.com/photos/sd/ Step 10: Open Tools
77. Online Web-based Productivity Tools http://www.flickr.com/photos/fernando/ Think your office tools on the web!
78. Benefits Easy to share Familiar interface 24/7 access via the Internet Versioning Save local copies Import/export
79. Drawbacks Comfort Zone Right tool for task? Sustainability No Internet, No Work Security
80. Discovery http://www.flickr.com/photos/joehastings/ Where does it make the most sense to incorporate one or more of these tools into your practice? Easy start – Email, address book and slide shows Demo Slide Share
81. http://www.flickr.com/photos/gracewong / Share your path