Shahid MinarThe Shaheed Minar is a national monument inDhaka, Bangladesh, established to commemoratethose killed during the LanguageMovement demonstrations of 1952.On February21, 1952, dozens of students and politicalactivists were killed when the Pakistani policeforce opened fire on Bengali protesters who weredemanding equal status to their nativetongue, Bangla. The massacre occurrednear Dhaka Medical College and Ramna Park inDhaka. A makeshift monument was erected onFebruary 23 by students of University ofDhaka and other educational institutions, but soondemolished on February 26 by the Pakistani policeforce.The Language Movement gained momentumand after a long struggle, Bangla was given equalstatus as Urdu. To commemorate the dead, theShaheed Minar was designed and built by HamidurRahman, a Bangladeshi sculptor. The monumentstood until the Bangladesh Liberation War in 1971,when it was demolished completelyduring Operation Searchlight. After Bangladeshgained independence, it was rebuilt .Today, theShaheed Minar is the centre of cultural activitiesin Dhaka. Every year, the Language Movement isremembered at the monument
Tajrat RajbariTajhat is a historical place of Bangladesh,located near Lalbagh, Rangpur. It has anice Jamidarbari(Palace) which in 2005 wasturned into a museum. This museum is about10 mins drive from Rangpur town, nearLalbagh. The Museum was inaugurated onMarch 20, 2005, by the Government ofBangladesh Minister for Cultural Affairs,Begum Selima Rahman and Secretary Mr.Mahmudul Masud. Dr. Alain Labrique of theJohns Hopkins University also made someinvited remarks.The palace in Tajhat, commonly knownas Tajhat Rajbari was built by MaharajaKumar Gopal Lal Roy in the beginning of the20th century. He was a descendent ofa Hindu khatari who emigrated from Punjab.He was a jeweler by profession. It is believedthat from the conspicuous appearance of hisTaj or jeweledcrown his estate derived thename of Tajhat. From the name of his estate,the area is known as Tajhat.
Ahsan ManzilAhsan Manzil was the officialresidential palace and seat oftheDhaka Nawab Family. It is situatedon the banks of the BurigangaRiver in Bangladesh. The palace isnow a museum.
Lalbagh FortLalbagh Fort (also known as"Fort Aurangabad") is anincomplete Mughalpalacefortress at the Buriganga River inthe southwestern partof Dhaka, Bangladesh.Construction was commenced in1678 by Prince MuhammadAzam during his 15-month longvice-royalty ofBengal, but beforethe work could complete, he wasrecalled by Aurangzeb. Hissuccessor, Shaista Khan, did notcomplete the work, though hestayed in Dhaka up to 1688. Hisdaughter bibi pari (Lady Fairy)died here in 1684 and this ledhim to consider the fort to beominous.
National Memorial National Memorial at Savar is asymbol of the nations respectfor the martyrs of the war ofLiberation. It is built withConcrete, but made of blood. ITstands 150 feet tall, but everymartyr it stands for stands somuch taller. It is anachievement the dimensions ofwhich can be measured but itstands for an achievementwhich is immeasurable. Itstands upright for the millionsof martyrs who laid their livesso that we may stand upright, inhonour and dignity, amongst thenations of the world. Mostprominently visible is the 150feet tower that stands on abase measuring 130 feet wide.
National MuseumThe National Museum was establishedat dhaka in AD 1913.It has beenrenamed as the National Museum andwas shifted to its new building atShahbag in 1983. It is a four storiedbuilding and has forty galleries underfour departments, namely, NaturalHistory, History and Classical Art,Ethnography and Decorative Art andContemporary Art and worldCivilization.
National ParliamentIt is one of the most majestic public buildings inBangladesh. The National Parliament complex islocated at Sher-e-Bangla Nagar of Dhaka city. TheNational Parliament Building is an architecturalmasterpiece for which the nation can be said to bejustifiably proud.The decision to construct theNational Parliament Complex at Dhaka wasoriginally taken in 1959. Louis I Kahn. one of thegreatest architects of the time was initiallyselected for designing the complex. which wouldinclude the National Parliament Building. Hostelsfor members of parliament. ministers andsecretaries. hospitality halls and communallybuildings.All linked by roads and walkways andsurrounded by attractive gardens and lakes. Themain characteristic of the building is itsmonumentally.The mass of concrete lined withmarble strips, the outer wall punctuate by puregeometrical openings and the dominating circularand rectangular concrete masses impart asupreme monumentality to the building quite suitedto its noble function.
Shait Gambuj MosqueAmong the many surviving monuments ofthe Khan Jahan Ali style, undoubtedly themost magnificent and largest brick mosquein Bangladesh is the Shait Gombuj. It issituated in Bagerhat district. Foroutstanding architectural value. the WorldHeritage Committee of UNESCO inscribedBagerhat in the World Heritage list and it gotthe status of the second World Heritage sitein Bangladesh after Paharpur. Out of todayssurviving mosques, the ShaitGombuj Mosque is the most magnificent andcertainly the largest brick mosque survivingin Bangladesh. Its name, meaning 60domes, is misleading as in reality, it isroofed over with 77 small domes supportedby a forest of slender columns covering alarge prayer hall and giving it theappearance of a medieval church crypt. Atsunrise when the rays of the sun penetratethe eastern entrances, the interior comes tolife. There is little adornment to this buildingother than the carved stone decoration tothe central mihrab at the western end of theprayer hall. The exterior facades, withslightly battered walls, have discerniblecurving cornices a concession to the localstyle.
Chhota Sona MasjidOne of the most graceful monumentsof the Sultanate period is the ChhotaSona Masjid or Small Golden Mosqueat Gaur in Rajshahi. Built by one WaliMuhammad during the reign ofSultan Alauddin Husain Shah (1493-1519), it was originally roofed overwith 15 gilded domes including the 3ChauchaIqa domes in the middlerow, from which it derives itscurious name.
Mainama tiIt is called the Seat of Lost Dynasties. About 8 kmto the west of Comilla town, situated 114 kmsoutheast of Dhaka, lies a range of low hillsknown as the Mainamati-Lalmai ridge, which wasan extensive centre of Buddhist culture. On theslopes or these hills lie scattered a treasure ofinformation about the early Buddhist civilization(7th-12th Century AD.). At Salban in the middle orthe ridge, excavations have laid bare a largeBuddhist Vihara (monastery) with an imposingcentral shrine. It has revealed valuableinformation about the rule of the Chandra andDeva dynasties which Flourished here from the7th to the 12th century AD. The whole range ofhillocks runs for about 18 km and is studded withmore than 50 sites. A site museum houses thearchaeological finds which include terra cottaplaques, bronze statues and caskets, coins,jewellery, utensils, pottery and votivestupas embossed with Buddhist inscriptions.
Baitul Mukarram-the National MosqueIt is the National Mosque of Bangladesh. Itsconstruction began on 1960, and has been goingon in phases. Architect T Abdul Hussain Tharianiwas commissioned to design the mosquecomplex. The plan included shops, offices,libraries and parking areas within the complex.The design of the mosque reflects thearchitecture of the period as can be seen fromthe use of a white and almost cube-form for themain building. A Mosque without a dome over theroof of its main prayer hall must have been aunique experiment. The main building is eightstoried and 33 meters high from the ground level.The area of the main prayer hall is 2464 SQmeters with a mezzanine floor of 171 SQ metresat the eastern side. Verandas surround the hallon three of its four sides. The mihrab of the hall isrectangular instead of semi-circular. The BaitulMukarram mosque is modern in its architecturalstyle. It has found its place in the hearts of theMuslims because of the resemblance of its formto the Holy Kaaba at Makkah.
SonargaonSonargaons importance in the pre-Muslimperiod is borne out by its ancient name of Suvarnagrama (the golden village), fromwhich it is obvious how the Muslimversion of the name is derived,as well asby the existence of Langalbandh andPanchamighat, the two traditional underGhiyasuddin Bahadur Shah, and after hisfall it was the headquarters of the easternprovince of Bengal under the Tughlaqs till1338. Sonargaon emerged as the capitalof an independent Sultanate underFakhruddin Mubarak Shah (1338-1349). Inthe late nineteenth and early twentiethcentury Panam Nagar was developed in apart of holy bathing places of the Hindus,in this tract of land on the west bank ofthe old Brahmaputra.Sonargaon rose to bethe seat of an independent ruler medievalSonargaon.
Star MosqueStar mosque, a 19th centuryestablishment, is a very beautifulmosque of the city situated atArmanitola, in the old part of DhakaCity. In faultless Mughal stylearchitecture, it is a five -dome mosquewith hundreds of big and smalltwinkling stars as surfacedecorations. The stars have beencreated by setting pieces orchinaware on white cement. Seenfrom the front and from far it looks asif it were shining above the surface ofthe earth. The inside or the mosque iseven more beautiful than the outside,with a lovely mosaic floor andexcellent tiles with many floralpatterns set on the walls, all incomplete harmony.
Paharpu rPaharpur is treated as the LargestBuddhist Seat of Learning of SouthAsia. It is a small village, 5 km west ofJamalganj in the greater Rajshahidistrict, where the remains of themost important and the largest knownmonastery south of the Himalayas hasbeen excavated. This 7th century ADarchaeological find covers an area ofapproximately 11 hectare. The entireestablishment, occupying aQuadrangular court, measures morethan 300 meters and varies from 3.5 to4.5 meters in height with an elaborategateway complex on the north, thereare 45 cells on the north and 44 ineach of the other three sides, with atotal number of 177 rooms.
Hossaini dalanHusaini Dalan a Shiite shrine in the old part ofthe city of DHAKA, attributed to the MughalPeriod. It is a common practice among the Shiacommunity to build edifices to commemoratethe martyrdom of al-Husain, at the battle ofKarbala in Iraq on the tenth day of Muharram 61AH (10 October 680 AD). The building seems tohave been originally erected by one SayyidMurad during the governorship of SHAH SHUJA,who, although himself a Sunni, was eager topreserve and patronise Shiite institutions.Traditions relate that Sayyid Murad, having seenal-Husain in a vision erecting a tazia khana(house of mourning), was inspired to raise thebuilding, which he named Husaini Dalan. Theoriginal building may have been a smallstructure, expanded to its present form in latertimes. The EAST INDIA COMPANY repaired it in1807 and 1810, and a portion of the building wasreconstructed after the earthquake of 1897.
Central Shahid Minar in Jahangir Nagar UniversityInside a green picturesquesurrounding of Jahangir NagarUniversity, the sprawling acres ofland holds this beautifulmonument dedicated to thelanguage martyrs of 1952.
Mahasthanga rIt is considered the oldestarchaeological site of the county. It islocated at a distance of 18 km north orBogra town on the western bank of theKaratoa river. The spectacular site isan imposing landmark in the area.having a long fortified enclosure.Beyond the fortified area, other ancientruins fan out within a semicircle ofabout 8 km radius. Several isolatedmounds, the local names of whichare Govinda Bhita Temple, KhodiaPathar Mound, MankalirKunda, Parsuramer Bedi, JiyatKunda etc. surround the fortified city.This 3rd century B.C. archaeologicalsite is still held to be of great sanctityby the Hindus. Every year (mid-April)and once every 12 years (in December)thousands of Hindu devotees join thebathing ceremony on the bank of theKaratoa river.
World War 2 CemeterySecond World War warrior’s graveyardsare in this Cemetery. There are 755graves in this graveyard of the greatwarriors who died d in world warfrom1939 to 1945 in Chittagong areas. Inthis well-preserved cemetery at a quietand picturesque place within the city lieburied in eternal peace over 700 soldiersfrom British, Australia, Canada, NewZealand, India, Myanmar, East and WestAfrica, The Netherlands and Japan wholaid down their lives on the Myanmar frontduring the World War II. Every year anumber of tourists come here to visit thisCemetery.
American ChurchThis church dates from 1781 and it is stillfunctioning today. Compared to some ofthe splendid churches elsewhere in theworld, this is a rather small, but interestingbuilding crowding on a narrow back streetof old Dhaka. But in the Dhaka context it isa very important tranquil haven in the heartof a huge crowded Muslim city.The church supports a small Christiancommunity from several countries thatmeets every Sunday evening. TheArmenians were once at the heart ofBengal’s jute and leather trade but thecommunity has virtually vanished. Formuch of the rest of the week the door tothe compound is looked but there is alwayssomeone inside because the caretaker, hisfamily and others live on site. You justneed to wait or bang loudly on the door andsomeone will come to let you in.
Mosque Baba AdamA slightly later date the elegant 6-domedmosque (13m x 11m) sq meters of BabaAdam in Rampal near Dhaka waserected by your Malik Kafur during thereign of the last Ilyas Shahi Sultan,Jalauddin Fateh Shah in 1483 AD. Itdisplays the same characteristicfeatures of the period such as thefaceted octagonal turrets at 4 corners,the curved cornice. The one facade and3 mihrabs relieved richly with beautifulterracotta floral and hanging patterns.