THE STORY STARS
• The first mobile call was placed in 1983
• Mobile phones evolved in 1994, which combined telephone & operating
• The term “SmartPhone” however didn’t appeared until 1997.
• 7 in 10 people in UK now own a Smart Phone.
• There are 6.8 billion people on earth, only 3.5 billion owns a truth brush, 4
billion of them use mobile phone.
1. A smartphone, or smart phone, is a mobile phone with more advanced
computing capability and connectivity than basic feature phones.
2. Early smartphones typically combined the features of a mobile phone with
those of another popular consumer device, such as a personal digital
assistant(PDA), a media player, a digital camera, or a GPS navigation unit.
Modern smartphones include all of those features plus the features of
a touchscreencomputer, including web browsing, Wi-Fi, and 3rd-
party apps and accessories.
3. Currently, about 90% of handset sales worldwide are for devices powered
by Google's Android and Apple's iOS mobile operating systems.
• Android is an open-source platform founded in October 2003 by Andy Rubin and
backed by Google, along with major hardware and software developers (such
as Intel, HTC, ARM, Motorola and Samsung) that form the Open Handset Alliance.
• In October 2008,HTC released the HTC Dream, the first phone to use Android. The
software suite included on the phone consists of integration with Google's proprietary
applications, such as Maps, Calendar, and Gmail, and a full HTML web browser.
Android supports the execution of native applications and third-party apps which
are available via Google Play, which launched in October 2008 as Android Market.
By Q4 2010, Android became the best-selling smartphone platform.
• In 2007, Apple Inc. introduced the iPhone, one of the first mobile phones to use
a multi-touch interface. The iPhone was notable for its use of a large touchscreen for
direct finger input as its main means of interaction, instead of a stylus, keyboard, or
keypad as typical for smartphones at the time.
• July 2008, Apple introduced its second generation iPhone with a much lower list price
and 3G support. Simultaneously, they introduced the App Store, which allowed any
iPhone to install third-party native applications.
• 2008 Featuring over 500 applications at launch, the App Store eventually achieved
1 billion downloads in the first year,
• 2011 & reached15 billion by 2011
an application, typically a small, specialized program downloaded on to
mobile devices: the best GPS apps for your iPhone.
• A mobile app, short for mobile application, or just app, is application
software designed to run on smartphones, tablet computers and other mobile
APP - DEFINITION
• An App is short for "application". Application in this case refers to a software
application - in other words, a software program
• But an app is not just any old software program - it's special type of software
program. An app typically refers to software used on a smartphone or mobile
device such as Android, iPhone, Blackberry or iPad, as in 'mobile app' or 'iphone
• Most organization have an App to support their website offering more features, such
as; news, offers, vouchers and locations services that are easy to use.
• The term "app" is a shortening of the term "application software".
• 2010 - Become very popular & was listed as "Word of the Year" by
the American Dialect Society.
• In 2009, technology columnist David Pogue said that newer smartphones could
be nicknamed "app phones" to distinguish them from earlier less-sophisticated
• Apps are usually available through application
distribution platforms, which began appearing in
2008 and are typically operated by the owner of
the mobile operating system, such as the Apple App
Store, Google Play,Windows Phone Store,
and BlackBerry App World.
• Some apps are free, while others must be bought.
Usually, they are downloaded from the platform to
a target device, such as
an iPhone, BlackBerry, Android phone orWindows
Phone, but sometimes they can be downloaded
to laptops or desktop computers.
APPS - BENEFITS
• Apps are simple and easy to use & download
• You can download an app whilst on the go
• There are Apps available in every market from Town Councils to Premier League
• Keeping in touch with social media, FB, Twitter, Instagram ...
• Keep up to date with a brand/company with offers, news, new products
• Search for local information and events by utalising the phone GPS
APP - HISTORY
• Mobile apps were originally offered for general productivity and information
retrieval, including email, calendar, contacts, and stock market and weather
information. However, public demand and the availability of developer tools drove
rapid expansion into other categories, such as mobile games, factory
automation, GPS and location-based services, banking, order-tracking, ticket
purchases and recently mobile medical apps. The explosion in number and variety of
apps made discovery a challenge, which in turn led to the creation of a wide range
of review, recommendation, and curation sources, including blogs, magazines, and
dedicated online app-discovery services.
APP - USAGE
• May 2012 – comScoreStudy :
App – 51.1% Web – 49.8%
• Usage of mobile apps strongly correlates with user context and depends on
user's location and time of the day.
• 2013 – Gartner :
• 102 billion apps will be downloaded, 91% of them FREE, but they will still generate
US$26 billion, up 44.4% on 2012's US$18 billion.
• An analyst report estimates that the app economy creates revenues of more
than €10 billion per year within the European Union, while over 529,000 jobs have
been created in 28 EU states due to the growth of the app market.
APPLE APP STORE
• Apple's App Store for iOS was the first app distribution service, which set the
standard for app distribution services and continues to do so, opened on July 10,
2008, and as of January 2011, reported over 10 billion downloads.
• June 6, 2011, there are 425,000 third-party apps available, which are downloaded
by 200 million iOS users.
• Apple's 2012 Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced
that the App Store has 650,000 available apps to download as well as "an
astounding 30 billion apps" downloaded from the app store until that date. From an
alternative perspective, figures seen in July 2013 by the BBC from tracking service
Adeven indicate over two-thirds of apps in the store are "zombies", barely ever
installed by consumers
• Google Play (formerly known as the Android Market) is an international
online software store developed by Google for Android devices.
• October 2008 - Opening.
• April 2013, there were approximately 850,000 apps available for Android,
and the estimated number of applications downloaded from Google Play was
40 billion. Android Apps can also run on BlackBerry 10 devices.