3. INTRODUCTION SMART NOTE TAKER (or digital pen)- Smart note taker is one of useful product which can satisfy the needs of people in today’s technological and fast life. Note taking in education is perceived as a major component in the learning Process. One of the smart note taker is LIVESCRIBE SMART PEN, invented by Jim Marggraff in oakland.
4. SPECIAL FEATURES OF SMART PEN1.The built-in Microphone is good quality and sensitive, it has the best sound recording quality (very clear recording) and could clearly record sound 10 meters away
5. 2.Elegant looking, super thin, very handy, largest diameter is only 13.9mm.3. There is a hand-writing recognition software called MyScript for Livescribe that converts ink handwriting to text.4.It can recognize up to 22 international languages.
6. 5. Livescribes special paper that allows the recording of notes uses a patented dot- positioning system.6. Numerous small black dots in patterns that are essentially invisible to the human eye, but can be detected by the pens infrared camera.7. The pattern indicates the exact position of the digital pen on the page, and each page has a unique identity so that they can be distinguished from each other.
7. components of Smart Pen
8. 1. A Livescribe smart pen is equipped with a removable ball point ink catridge.2. A microphone is used to record the audio and a speaker for playback.3. A small OLED display and an infrared camera.4.Internal flash memory that captures handwritten notes, audio and drawings.
9. The pen is used with notebooks and journals that contain a special paper known as "dot paper." The company offers various packages of these materials for your use.
11. Working: The association between the pen and the paper also deals with the pens ability to record audio with what you have written on the paper. This process is called Paper Replay and is initiated by using the recording controls on the bottom of each page.
12. When you have tapped the record button on the bottom of the page, the audio recorder begins recording. As you take notes, the pen lines up what you wrote with what was recorded at that same moment and does this until you stop the recording. After you have done this, and Paper Replay is turned on the pen, you can then tap anywhere in your notes and the audio recording will start playing from that point
13. Technical features: 1. USB2.0, mass storage: up to 2GB 2. Built-in -battery, support over 12hours recording after fully charged. 3. Included USB Cable Connector easily Docks to any USB jack 4. Compatible with windows 98/2000/ME/XP/Vista and 7.
14. APPLICATIONS 1.The smart pen is applicable for professionals in meetings. 2. For students
15. ADVANTAGES1.It is portable and light weight .2.It is very much suitable for students.3.Notes and audio can be shared.4.smartpens combineall four modes of com munication reading, writing, speaking an d listening
16. DISADVANTAGES It works only on “Dot Paper”. The cost of the smart pen is high. Misuse of smart pen.
17. CONCLUSION Hence we can conclude that our smart pen has many advantages over normal pen , since the smart pen is a device that can store visual recordings and thus can be used widely. Legally blind students (people with partial blindness) find it difficult to take notes at the fast pace that it is being dictated. So smart pen can play a great role to help blind students.