0
Genotypes &  Phenotypes Paula Meneses & Joshua Aguilar
Genotypes <ul><li>Dominant/Recessive Alleles. </li></ul><ul><li>Inheritable information. </li></ul><ul><li>Contribute to y...
Homozygous  Heterozygous <ul><li>Two same alleles </li></ul><ul><li>Two different alleles </li></ul>
Phenotypes <ul><li>Based on your Genotypes. </li></ul><ul><li>25% Chance of Peak & 75% of no Peak. </li></ul><ul><li>Are a...
Dominant & Recessive Genes <ul><li>Dominant Alleles are more likely to influence the Phenotype. </li></ul><ul><li>Recessiv...
Variation of Genetic Info <ul><li>In a community, the genetic information combined is a Gene Pool... </li></ul><ul><li>Gen...
Polygenic & Single Gene Traits <ul><li>Polygenic Traits: Controlled by more than one gene.  </li></ul><ul><li>Example: Eye...
Genetic Code <ul><li>Genotypes are written in a Genetic Code. </li></ul><ul><li>Consists of a sequence of Codons </li></ul...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Geno pheno

241

Published on

Joshua Aguilar & Paula Meneses ppt on Genotypes and Phenotypes

Published in: Education
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
241
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
8
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Transcript of "Geno pheno"

  1. 1. Genotypes & Phenotypes Paula Meneses & Joshua Aguilar
  2. 2. Genotypes <ul><li>Dominant/Recessive Alleles. </li></ul><ul><li>Inheritable information. </li></ul><ul><li>Contribute to your Phenotypes. </li></ul><ul><li>Polygenic Traits & Single Gene Traits. </li></ul><ul><li>Cell -> Nucleus -> Chromosomes -> DNA Strands -> Genes (Made up of Alleles.) </li></ul>
  3. 3. Homozygous Heterozygous <ul><li>Two same alleles </li></ul><ul><li>Two different alleles </li></ul>
  4. 4. Phenotypes <ul><li>Based on your Genotypes. </li></ul><ul><li>25% Chance of Peak & 75% of no Peak. </li></ul><ul><li>Are all your physical traits. </li></ul><ul><li>Can be Skin Color, Hair Color, Eye Color, Eye Shape, etc.. </li></ul><ul><li>No Widows Peak: </li></ul><ul><li>B (Big B) </li></ul><ul><li>Widows Peak: </li></ul><ul><li>b (Little b) </li></ul>B b B BB Bb b Bb bb
  5. 5. Dominant & Recessive Genes <ul><li>Dominant Alleles are more likely to influence the Phenotype. </li></ul><ul><li>Recessive Alleles are less likely to influence the Phenotype. </li></ul><ul><li>Genotypes can be passed on. </li></ul><ul><li>If Recessive Gene isn't physically viewable, it will be passed on to offspring. </li></ul><ul><li>If heterozygous, Recessive Gene can still be passed on. </li></ul>
  6. 6. Variation of Genetic Info <ul><li>In a community, the genetic information combined is a Gene Pool... </li></ul><ul><li>Gene Mutations can occur.. </li></ul><ul><li>Genetic Shuffling also occurs.. </li></ul><ul><li>Crossing Over can occur.. </li></ul>
  7. 7. Polygenic & Single Gene Traits <ul><li>Polygenic Traits: Controlled by more than one gene. </li></ul><ul><li>Example: Eyes, Skin, Hair, Height, Ears, Nose, Lips, etc. </li></ul><ul><li>Single Gene Traits: Controlled by one gene. You have it or not. </li></ul><ul><li>Example: Widows Peak, Earlobes, Ability to Roll Tongue, PTC Tasters, Hair on Knuckles, etc. </li></ul>
  8. 8. Genetic Code <ul><li>Genotypes are written in a Genetic Code. </li></ul><ul><li>Consists of a sequence of Codons </li></ul><ul><li>Example of a Codon: “AUG” (Methionine) </li></ul><ul><li>Each Codon will stand for a single amino acid. </li></ul>
  1. A particular slide catching your eye?

    Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.

×