1. Assignment GuideDATE ASSIGNMENTS DUE: QUIZZES IMPORTANT SPECIAL LECTURES & REMINDERS OTHER EVENTS  Readings: Ch. 1-5 in I’ll Stop  You should purchase the  Special Lecture: In Search Procrastinating When I Get Course Pack before class. of My Jewish Mother Around to it What’s in it and where do I get it?  You can find supplemental06/13/11  Objectives for Chapters 1-5. I’ll assignment material on (M) Stop Procrastinating When I  Course Procedures. your work show CD! Get Around to ItIntro to  Details of the Course P610 Materials (bring your course pack to class today and everyday hereafter).  ASO and AES reading assignments should correspond with your chapter assignments, but it is YOUR responsibility to check with Dr Malott for what ASO and AES readings will be due  WARNING: Most students tell us that they take at least four hours to prepare for each day. Plan ahead!  Readings: Ch. 6-10 in I’ll Stop  Please bring $10 for keys to  Malott’s Mini Lecutre on Need-06/14/11 Procrastinating When I Get the BATS lab & computer lab Reduction Theory and on (T) Around to It Preparedness  Objectives for Chapters 6-10. I’ll Stop Procrastinating When I Get Around to It
2. DATE ASSIGNMENTS DUE: QUIZZES IMPORTANT SPECIAL LECTURES & REMINDERS OTHER EVENTS  Readings:  Quiz on Assignments and  How to Use Your 360 Work Show CD: After you place the CD in06/15/11  Assignment and Course Procedures Course Procedures (study your computer, you will need to open the CD file. Each Work Show (W)  Preface more or less the first 26 some is placed in its own folder—open the folder with the name of the  To the Memory of Donald Whaley, pages of the course booklet, Work Show you want to view, and then click on the PowerPoint available at the Principles of Behavior up through, Let the Good (.pps) file. The show should automatically start with music (so make web site: Times Roll), Preface, and To sure you have your sound on!)! the Memory of Donald http://www.dickmalott.com/psy-6100-c- Whaley.  This CD is both Windows and Mac compatible l/2010/5/22/extra-chapters.html  Note: the above will be  If you are having issues with your CD or a work show, contact  Chapter 1: The Reinforcer Kelly Stone by email BEFORE CLASS!  Chapter 1 AES one quiz  Quiz on Chapter 1: The  Study the chapter in Principles of Behavior 6th edition for the quiz today. Use the flashcards in your course pack for Chapter 1 and get  Watch “How to Use the Contingency- Reinforcer (vocabulary and as fast as you can with them. That will help you on the quiz. To do Diagramming Checklist” Work Show. content well on the quiz you will need to be able to: This work show is located on your work  Quiz on How to Use the  Write out all the definitions perfectly, though not necessarily word show CD and is two parts, Ch 1 part 1 of Contingency-Diagramming the Pink Sheet and Ch. 2 part 2 of the Checklist Work show. But for word. Pink Sheet. don’t worry, if you go through  Answer all the study questions at the end of each section within  Tip: Go through this work show very the slide show you’ll do fine. the chapter. carefully because you will be quizzed  Fill out all the contingency diagrams for each story in the chapter. over the material.  Fill out all the tables and other diagrams in the chapter.  Assignments:  Advanced Enrichment Section and Advanced Study  Chapter 1 ASO Objectives. Many chapters also have advanced enrichment  NOTE: The ASO for Chapters 1-5 is and advanced study objectives associated with them. You will combined. Do as much as you can each be responsible for oral exams and four written review quizzes day, and by Chapter 5 you should have (review quizzes for BATS students only) over these materials completed the whole ASO assignment. for the relevant chapters. So please check the booklet with these materials when studying for each class.06/16/11  Readings:  Quiz on Ch. 2.  WARNING: Quizzes also cover the enrichment sections. (Th)  Chapter 2: Reinforcement Reinforcement  Chapter 2 AES  WARNING: Always be able to recreate tables!  Assignments:  Begin stashing your completed homework in a safe place. At the end  Homework for Chapter 2: of the semester, you will need to bring all of your homework packets Reinforcement and turn them in at the Final Fiesta in order to get credit for this course.  Chapter 2 ASO
3. DATE ASSIGNMENTS DUE: QUIZZES IMPORTANT SPECIAL LECTURES & REMINDERS OTHER EVENTS Seminar Note: Always bring your red ball-point pen (red ink) to seminars. If you have one, you can make corrections in your homework as we go over it in class (before you turn it in at the end of the seminar). You get credit for your corrections. However, you lose credit if you try to complete homework you hadnt done or make the corrections in the same colored ink or pencil as the original. (We need the two colors so we can get a better idea of how well the homework is going.) The schedule is generally like this:  Each day of the week (Monday-Friday), you will generally discuss the homework for the relevant chapters for that day. This will include presenting original examples to the class on transparencies. Don’t worry, you’ll learn to like it. You will also have a quiz on each of the assigned chapters from Principles of Behavior. To be prepared you will need to achieve fluency with the flash cards related to the chapters for that day. Sometimes well have a lecture during the Seminar, review or work show quizzes, or some other deviation from the schedule, so keep an eye out. We’ll try to remind you, too.  Readings:  Quiz on Chapter 3. Escape  Warning: You will need to fill in the actual behaviors in the06/17/11 contingency diagram on the quiz! (F)  Chapter 3: Escape  Quiz on The Sick Social Cycle Work  You will do Self-Management Presentations every Friday  Chapter 3 AES Show during the summer!  Assignments:  REMINDER: YOUR JEWISH MOTHER ASSIGNMENT IS DUE MONDAY!!!  Homework for Chapter 3: Escape  Chapter 3 ASO  The Sick Social Cycle Work Show – Victim’s Escape Model06/20/11  Readings:  Quiz on Ch. 4. Punishment. (M)  Chapter 4: Punishment  Quiz on The Sick Social Cycle Work Show  Assignments:  Homework for Ch. 4. Punishment.  Chapter 4 ASO  Jewish Mother Assignment is due today!  Work Show on the Sick Social Cycle – Victim’s Punishment Model
4. DATE ASSIGNMENTS DUE: QUIZZES IMPORTANT SPECIAL LECTURES & REMINDERS OTHER EVENTS  Readings:  Quiz on Ch. 5. Penalty.  Warning - you will need to06/21/11 fill in the actual behaviors on (T)  Chapter 5: Penalty  Quiz on Chapter 6. Extinction and the contingency diagram on Recovery  Chapter 6: Extinction and the quiz. Recovery  Warning: Always be able to  Chapter 5 AES recreate all charts, tables,  Assignments: and diagrams. TO BE MORE SPECIFIC - THERE  Homework for Chapter 5. ARE THREE TABLES IN Penalty. CHAPTER 6 AND YOU  Homework for Chapter 6. WILL NEED TO MEMORIZE Extinction and Recovery THEM!  Chapter 5 ASO  Chapter 6 ASO06/22/11  Readings:  Quiz on Chapter 7. Differential  Warning #1: 13 definitions Reinforcement and Differential (W)  Chapter 7: Differential Punishment.  Warning #2: You must know and understand all the details of Reinforcement and Differential the enrichment sections to get an A, and we want you to get an Punishment A!!  Assignments:  Homework for Chapter 7. Differential Reinforcement and Differential Punishment  Chapter 7 ASO06/23/11  Readings:  Quiz on Chapter 8. Shaping.  Warning: You must know all the details of the procedures and (Th)  Chapter 8: Shaping results.  Assignments:  Homework for Chapter 8. Shaping (Original Example)  Chapter 8 ASO
5. DATE ASSIGNMENTS DUE: QUIZZES IMPORTANT SPECIAL LECTURES & REMINDERS OTHER EVENTS  Readings:  Quiz on Chapter 9. Unlearned  Repeated warning: You must know and understand all the06/24/11 (F)  Chapter 9: Unlearned Reinforcers and Unlearned details of the enrichment sections to get an A. You must be able Reinforcers and Unlearned Aversive Conditions. to describe the experimental procedures in both the fundamentals Aversive Conditions and the enrichment sections.  REVIEW QUIZ #1  Chapter 9 AES  Self-Management Presentations This 20-question quiz contains some  Assignments: of the key definitions from Chapters  Homework for Chapter 9. 1-8. You must know ALL of the Unlearned Reinforcers and definitions from Chapters 1-8. For Unlearned Aversive this quiz, if you get at least 19 Conditions. definitions correct you will get one  Chapter 9 ASO bonus quiz point.  Readings:  Quiz on Chapter 10. Special  Ask Malott to discuss non-contingent reinforcement and how06/27/11 (M)  Chapter 10: Special Motivating Operations. it is used as a control procedure. This is covered in Chapter Motivating Operations  Written ASO Review Quiz #1. This 11 but you may need some clarification of this difficult quiz will cover the Advanced Study concept before you read the chapter.  Chapter 10 AES Objectives from Chapters 1-8. Be  Ask Malott to discuss symbolic matching.  Assignments: prepared to write out the answers in  No homework for Ch. 10 full!  Readings:  Quiz on Chapter 11. Learned  Warning: Know the  Special Lecture: Autism06/28/11  Chapter 11: Learned Reinforcers and Learned Aversive pairing diagrams if (T) Reinforcers and Learned Conditions. you want an A on the Aversive Conditions quiz today.  Assignments:  Homework for Chapter 11. Learned Reinforcers and Learned Aversive Conditions  Chapter 11 ASO  Readings:  Quiz on Chapter 12.  Reminder: To get an06/29/11 (W)  Chapter 12: Discrimination Discrimination. A, you must always  Chapter 12 AES know all the  Assignments: procedures, diagrams and tables,  Homework for Chapter 12. in both the Discrimination. fundamentals and the  Chapter 12 ASO enrichment sections.
6. DATE ASSIGNMENTS DUE: QUIZZES IMPORTANT SPECIAL LECTURES REMINDERS & OTHER EVENTS  Readings:  Quiz on Chapter 13. Complex  By the way, Chapter 1306/30/11 (Th)  Chapter 13: Complex Stimulus Stimulus Control. Homework may be a little tough; Control sorry about that, were trying to  Chapter 13 AES  Quiz on Stimulus Generalization keep it under control. Gradient Work Show.  Assignments:  Hint: Always read the Advanced  Homework for Chapter 13.  Quiz on Stimulus Equivalence Work Enrichment sections if you want Complex Stimulus Control Show. an A on the quiz.  Stimulus Generalization Gradient Work Show  Stimulus Equivalence Work Show  Chapter 13 ASO  Readings:  Quiz Chapter 14. Imitation.  Hint: When you read an example  Self-Management07/01/11 or an experiment, see how it (F)  Chapter 14: Imitation  Review Quiz #2. 20-question quiz. relates to the heading for that Presentations  Chapter 14 AES You must know all of the definitions section and the definitions in the  Assignments: from Chapters 1-14. Score at least 19, section. That tells you what its an and you get 2 bonus quiz points! example of and helps you on the  Homework for Chapter 14. quizzes. Also, always be able to Imitation. describe the contingencies  Chapter 14 ASO involved in each phase of each experiment  Don’t blow off the last sections of the enrichment section!  Readings:  Quiz on Chapter 15. Avoidance.  Warning: Always be able to07/04/11 (M)  Chapter 15: Avoidance recreate all charts, tables, and  Chapter 15 AES  Written ASO #2. This quiz will cover diagrams, or you know what you  Assignments: the Advanced Study Objectives from can kiss good bye. (This is more Chapters 1-14. than just memorization - you  Homework for Chapter 15. must understand them!) Avoidance.  Chapter 15 ASO
7. DATE ASSIGNMENTS DUE: QUIZZES IMPORTANT SPECIAL LECTURES REMINDERS & OTHER EVENTS  Readings:  Quiz on Chapter 16.07/05/11  Chapter 16: Punishment by Punishment by (T) Prevention Prevention  Chapter 16 AES  Assignments:  Homework for Chapter 16. Punishment by Prevention  Chapter 16 ASO  Readings:  Quiz on Chapter 17. Ratio  Warning: Students tend to do well learning07/06/11 the definitions of the various schedules and (W)  Chapter 17: Ratio Schedules Schedules. (This quiz covers  Special live POB Ch. 17, not Ch. 17’s the nature of responding the schedules  Chapter 18: Interval Schedules generate, but when students get to the quiz demonstration of  Chapter 17 AES homework.) they mix up the definitions for schedules in cumulative recording  Assignments:  Quiz on Discrete-trial and place of responding and vice versa--so be Free-operant Procedures (Ch.17).  Special Homework for Chapter sure to note the difference between schedules Work show. and responding in the names of the terms 17. Eight Basic Contingencies by Matt Miller  Quiz on Chapter 18. Interval when studying the flashcards (P100, also take some extra time to learn the difference.)  Watch “Discrete Trial and Schedules. Free Operant Procedures”  Hint #1: To get an A, you must read and Work Show, available online: recall all the sections of each apter.ch http://www.dickmalott.com/psy-  Hint #2: To get an A, make sure you know 6100-c-l/2010/9/7/work- what contingencies are being discussed in shows.html each story.  Chapter 17 ASO  Hint #3: To do well on todays quiz,  Chapter 18 ASO understand that stimulus generalization explains why intermittent reinforcement makes behavior more resistant to extinction than does continuous reinforcement. And be able to explain how that works.
8. DATE ASSIGNMENTS DUE: QUIZZES IMPORTANT SPECIAL LECTURES & REMINDERS OTHER EVENTS  Readings:  Quiz on Chapter 19. Concurrent  Warning - students tend to  Special live demonstration of07/07/11 (Th)  Chapter 19. Concurrent Contingencies. do poorly on this quiz. BE cumulative recording (Ch.19 & Contingencies ABLE TO REPLICATE THE 20).  Chapter 20. Behavioral Chains  NOTE: There is an extra flash DIAGRAMS and the Pros card in your course pack that and Cons table! and Differential Reinforcement of is not in the textbook. You Low Rate WILL need to know this for the  True/False? To get an A, I  Assignments: quiz! can ignore the last sections of  Homework for Chapter 19. each chapter. Concurrent Contingencies.  Quiz on Chapter 20. Behavioral  Homework for Chapter 20. Chains and Differential Behavioral Chains and Reinforcement of Low Rate. Differential Reinforcement of Low Rate.  Readings:  Quiz on Chapter 21. Respondent  Warning -There are 10  Self-Management07/08/11 (F)  Chapter 21. Respondent Conditioning. definitions that students Presentations. Conditioning. tend to have a hard time  Assignments:  Review Quiz #3. 20-question quiz. with; give yourself some You must know all the definitions extra time to understand  Homework for Chapter 21. from Chapters 1-21. Score at least Respondent Conditioning these terms. 19 and you get 3 bonus quiz  Chapter 21 ASO points.  Readings:  Quiz on Chapter 22. Rule-  Warning: Be able to  Special Lecture. Everything07/11/11  Chapter 22. Rule-Governed Governed Behavior: Concepts reproduce the contingency You Know About Impulsivity is (M) Behavior: Concepts tree on the quiz. Wrong.  Chapter 23. Rule-Governed  Quiz on Chapter 23. Rule- Governed Behavior: Applications Behavior: Applications  Chapter 23 AES  Assignments:  Homework for Chapter 22. Rule- Governed Behavior: Concepts  Homework for Chapter 23. Rule- Governed Behavior: Applications.  Chapter 22 ASO
9. DATE ASSIGNMENTS DUE: QUIZZES IMPORTANT SPECIAL LECTURES REMINDERS & OTHER EVENTS  Readings:  Quiz on Chapter 24. Rule-Governed  Special Lecture: Sex Show 07/12/11  Chapter 24: Rule-Governed Behavior: Theory. (T) Behavior: Theory  Note: While most students find the material in Ch.26  Chapter 25: Pay for  Quiz on Chapter 25. Pay for Performance (which today’s slideshow includes) to be of great value, it is controversial and may be offensive to some students Performance  Written ASO Review Quiz #3. This quiz will because it deals with a behavior analysis of some of the  Assignments: cover the Advanced Study Objectives from functions of religion and a behavior analysis of sexuality.  Homework for Chapter 24. Chapters 1-21. If you would find such analyses offensive, you should Rule-Governed Behavior: talk to Dr Malott before class begins. Theory.  Homework for Chapter 25. Pay for Performance.  Chapter 24 ASO  Readings:  Quiz on Chapter 26B. Moral and Legal  Special Lecture: Moral & Legal Control Show. 07/13/11  Chapter 26A. Sexuality Control (W)  Chapter 26B. Moral and Legal  Note: While most students find the material in Ch.26 Control  Know why moral and legal control often (which today’s slideshow includes) to be of great value, it fail; may be separate reasons for each is controversial and may be offensive to some students  Note: These readings are in your form of control. because it deals with a behavior analysis of some of the course pack  Be sure you know whose interests may be functions of religion and a behavior analysis of sexuality.  Assignments: If you would find such analyses offensive, you should  Homework for Ch. 26. Sexuality. in conflict in scientific research. Know the virtues of secular humanism. Be sure to talk to Dr Malott before class begins.  Chapter 26 ASO know all the definitions and the section questions to get an A.  Readings:  Quiz on Chapter 27. Maintenance.  Warning: If want an A on 07/14/11  Chapter 27. Maintenance  Quiz on Chapter 28. Transfer. the quiz, then know the (Th)  Chapter 28. Transfer tables.  Chapter 27 AES  Review Quiz #4. 20-question quiz. You must know all of the definitions from Chapters 1-28.  Chapter 28 AES Score at least 19 and you get 4 bonus  Assignments: points!  Homework for Chapter 27. Maintenance.  Chapter 27 & 28 ASO07/15/11  Readings:  Quiz on Chapter 29. Research Methods.  DANGER! Chapter 29  Self-Management (F) includes 12 extra review Presentations.  Chapter 29. Research Methods  Written ASO Review Quiz #4. This quiz will definitions along with 13  Any student that has not cover the Advanced Study Objectives from  Assignments: Chapters 1-28. new definitions. taken a rat lab should take it  Please bring your course during the Fall Semester. Ask  No Ch. 29 Homework Dr Malott if this applies to evaluations to turn in you!