2. Being Effective V/s being
• Effectiveness is doing the things
that get you closer to your goals.
• Efficiency is performing a given task
(whether important or not ) in the
most economical manner possible.
Being efficient without regard to
effectiveness is the default mode of
3. Being Effective V/s being
• Doing something unimportant well
does not make it important !
• Requiring a lot of time does not
make a task important !
What you do is infinitely more
important than how you do it !
4. Pareto 80/20
• Which 20% of sources are causing
80% of my problems and
• Which 20% of sources are resulting
in 80% of my desired outcomes and
Being overwhelmed is often as
unproductive as doing nothing !
Focus on the important few and
ignore the rest.
5. Pareto 80/20
• If I had a heart attack and had to
work only two hours per day, what
would I do?
• If I had a second heart attack and had
to work only two hours per week,
what would I do?
• What are the top three activities that I
use to fill my time with to feel as if
I’ve been productive?
• Who are the 20% of the people who
produce 80% of my enjoyment and
propel me forward, and which 20%
cause 80% of my depression, anger and
6. We spend too much time with those
who poison us with pessimism, sloth
and low expectations of themselves
and the world.
It is often the case that you have to
fire certain friends or retire from
particular social circles to have the
life you want.
This is not being mean; it is being
Poisonous people do not deserve your
7. Illusion of dedication &
• A task will swell in (perceived)
importance & complexity in relation
to the time allotted for its
• The end product of a shorter
deadline is almost inevitable of
equal or higher quality due to
“Dedication” is often just
meaningless work in disguise !
8. The Killer Combination
Limit tasks to
time to limit
tasks to the
9. The Killer Combination
Identify the few critical
tasks that contribute most to
goals achievement and
schedule them with very
short and clear deadlines
If you don’t do this in Life,
The unimportant becomes