“ Photos of new products are essential for us to write about those products. We like to show our readers the product as well as write about it. “
“ Multimedia is useful when it is fully relevant--throwing it in just to be "multimedia" can be irritating to the reader. For video and audio, a brief lead-in to explain why I would take the time to watch/listen is always helpful.”
The speaker in an online video needs to be engaging -- not boring! Plus the video needs to be interesting -- not just a person talking. Further, make sure the person is saying something valuable to journalists, not just a "come to our website for more" soundbite or worse a bite that says, "we value consumers."
1. Multimedia can create a more engaging experience than text Tip : Consider ways that multimedia can be used to relevantly enhance the visitor’s experience
2. The benefits to using multimedia are multi-faceted Multimedia can enhance time-on-page, click-through rate, provides fodder for content producers and sharers, and can increase the online footprint.
3. The definition of “production quality” shifts online Tip : Focus on content; not production quality.
4. Multimedia is appropriate for some content types but not all Tip : Multimedia is particularly helpful in describing complex processes. However, there are times when multimedia can be distracting.
5. Multimedia should be considered in relation to the broader message Images, video and audio should be seen as supplementary to a broader content experience. The entirety needs to be considered when selecting multimedia.