The Persian Wars!!!!! A) 520 B.C.E. Persia conquered Ionia (small Greek polis) - 20 years later, Ionians revolted + asked other Greek polises for help. - Athenians +other polises sent a few warships. - after 5 yrs. of fighting- Persians won!
-Darius (Persian King) wanted revenge on Greeks for helping Ionians. B) Battle of Marathon -490 B.C.E. Darius sent 600 warships +army to Greece. - landed on plains of Marathon - decided to leave plains +attack by sea
- as they were loading their ships +leaving, Athenians ran down the hills around Marathon +defeated the unsuspecting Persians.
- runner set off to Athens with news of the Athenian victory!! - when he reached Athens, he yelled… NIKE!!! Greek word for victory and collapsed and died of exhaustion
C) Athenians discover rich silver mines - spent their new wealth on ships called Triremes - now had the largest navy in Greece!
Create a comic strip (Left) Using the information in your notes from the start of the Persian Wars to this point, create a comic strip that shows the important events that took place so far. Use as little words as possible and your final version should be colored. Yes, you can use stick figures if you need to
D) Xerxes (480 B.C.E.) – Darius’s crazy son- seeks revenge on the Greeks -sent 250,000 soldiers across the Aegean Sea +conquered N. Greece - 20 Greek polises united to fight Persians Sparta – led army Athens – led navy
E) The battle of Thermopylae!!! - 7,000 Greek soldiers travel to Thermopylae - held off the Persians for 3 days, so the Athenians could flee to the island of Salamis.
- 300 Spartans stayed +other Greeks fled to help the Athenians - Persians, helped by a Greek traitor, found the mountain pass +crushed the Greeks. - Persians killed every soldier that was guarding the pass +sandwiched the Spartans on either side. - the Persians marched on to Athens and finding it deserted, burnt it to the ground.
S.P.A.W.N. S-Special Powers: If you had a special power, what would you have changed about the Battle of Thermopylae? P- Problem Solving: If you were a Greek commander, how would you have reorganized the Battle of Thermopylae? A-Alternative Viewpoints: If you were a Persian, what would you list as your reasons for attacking Greece? W-What If: What do you think would have happened if the Athenians had not fled to the island of Salamis? N- Next: What do you think happens next in the Persian Wars?
F) The Battle of Salamis!!!!!! - Greeks tricked the Persian fleet into sailing into the strait btw. Athens +Salamis. - Persian ships could only go in a few at a time. - Persian ships were bigger and Athenian ships were smaller.
- The Athenian warships surrounded the Persian warships in the smaller space of the strait and destroyed the Persians. - The Persians marched on to Plataea and were soundly defeated by the now unified and unstoppable Greek army. - By working together the Greeks saved their country!
- Persian Wars Ended!!!! - Greeks Won!!!! - After all was said and done, Persians still ruled Ionia.
Cause and Effect (pg. 36 Left) Battle of Salamis Battle of Thermopylae Battle of Marathon Effect Cause
Fall of Persia (pg. 39 Right) Using page 137 in your textbook, list the reasons why the Persian Empire fell after the Persian Wars.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.