Masdar Power

1,654 views

Published on

0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
1,654
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
7
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
72
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Masdar Power

  1. 1. Masdar Power: Investing in Renewable Projects Globally Frank Wouters, Director
  2. 2. Masdar Power Business Model • What we do -Building a portfolio of renewable energy operating assets and making strategic tech investments • Focus -Solar: Utility scale photovoltaic and concentrating solar power -Wind: Onshore and Offshore wind farms -Technology investment in Wind and CSP -Stable and profitable markets such as the UAE and MENA region as well as the UK, Italy and the US • Business Model -Originate, develop, finance, construct and operate through project development and direct project investment -Developing strategic partnerships
  3. 3. Solar Investments - UAE • Abu Dhabi is committed to a 7% target of renewable power capacity by 2020, which is 1,500 MW, mostly from solar • Masdar is investing in utility scale Concentrating Solar Power (CSP) and PV projects • CSP is a dispatchable renewable energy source and key to achieving a large part of the target • Shams 1 is the first CSP plant using parabolic trough technology in Abu Dhabi. Masdar will own 60%, a foreign shareholder the remaining 40%
  4. 4. Solar Investments - UAE • SHAMS 1 Location: Madinat Zayed, Abu Dhabi Capacity: 100 MW Power generation: 210 GWH/a Start of operation: 2012 Plant footprint: 2.5 km2
  5. 5. Solar Investments – Torresol • Torresol is a Joint Venture between the Spanish group Sener and Masdar. The company develops, builds, owns and operates Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) plants • Technology Focus: Focuses on Tower and Parabolic Trough technologies; all projects have storage capacity • Markets: Torresol is currently building 3 plants in Spain (Fully project financed and EPC contracted), and is currently looking at opportunities in the Middle East, North Africa and North America
  6. 6. Solar Investments – Torresol • Projects PLANT TECHNOLOGY LOCATION CAPACITY (MW) PRODUCTION (GWH) Gemasolar Central tower Spain 17.5 ~100 Valle 1&2 Parabolic trough Spain 2 x 50 ~2 x 175
  7. 7. Wind Investments – London Array • Offshore wind is the fastest growing renewable energy sector with potential for 30 GW by 2020 • Located in the Outer Thames Estuary, close to London (UK) • Will be the largest Offshore Wind Farm in the World, with a first Phase of 630 MW (1,000 MW consented) • Phase 1 will use 175 Siemens 3.6 MW wind turbines Ramsgate
  8. 8. Wind Investments – London Array • Masdar Power is partnering with the leading Offshore Wind developers: -E.ON: 54,000MW of installed generation capacity including 2,000MW of wind -Dong: Number 1 offshore wind developer (330MW operating, 1,200 MW in development) • Masdar owns 20% of the Project • Phase 1 project costs estimated ₤2.2bn • Project Completion: Jan 2013
  9. 9. Wind Investments : WinWind Technology • Unique Multibrid technology • Combines the reliability of a direct drive with the compactness of a traditional gear system • Results in high availability, high reliability, high output and low maintenance costs • Installed base of ~250MW • Represents a €120 million investment in the high growth wind turbine industry, building out Masdar’s expertise across the wind sector value chain. • The annual world wide wind turbine market presently represents $30bn 3MW
  10. 10. Wind Investments: WinWind Markets and Facilities • Greenfield purpose built facilities completed in 2009 in Finland and India • Hamina, Finland facility produces 3MW turbines servicing Nordic Europe and actively expanding throughout the continent • Chennai, India facility produces 1MW turbines and blades, supplying Europe, India and beyond *Annual production capacity

×