2. OCEAN WAVE BOWL I took my pin tool and started to make adesign for the bottom of the bowl. I rolledthe clay into snakes and flattened themand then stuck them to the bowl creatingsome texture. Then I took the pin tool andcarved wave shapes into the side of thebowl. When I put the glaze on, I wascareful to outline the details.For the edge of the top of the bowl, Irolled the clay into a thin coil and looped itaround the edge.Here is the other side view of my bowl.
3. CHINESE TEASIPPING CUPWhile I was making this piece, I let my mindflow to be really creative with form and colorsof blue that reminded me of the really oldChinese plates. I got the idea form watching aTV show about Oriental tea ceremonies.My Technique: for the plate: the slab method. Iformed a ball and used a rolling pin to roll outthe clay into flat slab just like you roll dough fora pie. Then I created small balls and then rolledthem with the palm of my hand to form littlesnakes. I twisted the little snakes into little coilslike a button and put them all around the edgeof the plate.For the tea cup: pinch-pot method: I rolled aball and then started pushing into the middle ofthe ball, making a hole. Then I pulled the claypinching the sides and pulling them up to shapea cup. I put the cup in the middle of the plateand formed the wall around the cup.
4. DECORATED BIRD HOUSE & BLUE JAY BIRDI made this piece because my Mom loves bird houses and birds too. She has a collection of wooden birdhouses hanging all around her garden.Technique: I made 4 slabs and cut them out and then made the bottom slab. I took my pin tool and pokedcircles into the walls on the sides of house. I made the roof of the birdhouse by pinching 2 strips of claytogether connecting the sides. I carved 2 smiley faces into the side to make the birds feel happy.Blue-Jay Bird: I cut several pieces from the slab of clay to make a 3 dimensional body. Then I pressed thepieces together shaping them. I added the wings on the sides and made the body and pressed a separatepiece in between the top and bottom of his body to from the tail. I made his head by rolling a ball of clay. Iformed the mouth with a half-disc-shaped piece of clay. I made a small snake roll, almost like a tree stump,and shaped his feet by molding the clay with my fingers. I used a high-temperature “cone-10” glaze.I made a pretend bed with pillow and a shower.And also a post made of clay to hold up theroof.
5. Outside of the bowl:Shape: I formed the bowl using the free-hand“pinch-pot” shaping technique.Color: On the outside of the bowl I used theblue sports drink called “Power-ade”. I putsome “Power-ade” drink into the bottle cap. Itook a brush and painted the blue color ontothe bowl. I felt excited to try this funnyexperiment with this different idea using poweraide sports drink! I took my pin tool and startedto design the outside of the bowl. I wanted tomake different shapes of squares at the outerbowl. I thought it is a very unique pattern.DIAMOND TILE BOWLMy ideas for making the diamond tile bowl came from when Iwas with my parents in Amalfi Italy. My mom told me the tileson the villa floor were really old from the 12th century. I thoughtthey were so beautiful.Technique: For the inside of my bowl, I cut out the shape ofrectangles. Then I rolled it out to flatten the shape and stickthe shape down into the bowl. I made a diamond and drew theflower design pattern on the tile that I put into the center. Onthe top, is a swirl crest.
6. I love looking at Falcons because they are so beautiful. I love when they flap their wings and you cansee all of their beautiful feathers. When I started making this piece, I visualized how this very specialbird should look.The Technique: for the plate stand, I did the “flipping pizza” technique, then to rolled it over, I used myindex finger and my thumb. For the body of the bird, I measured about 6 inches using my hands tosculpt the body. Then I made the feathers using my pin tool and did the feather technique. I pinchedthe clay to form the upper body. I took both of my hands to roll a ball to make his head. I attached it tohis body using the pinching technique and then I used my pin tool to draw his eyes.FALCON BIRD STAND
7. I envisioned in my mind’s eye a picture of myfuture life ahead. Of my lifetime the story behindthis piece is about the light of my life will be fullfilled in one whole life in peace and harmony. Imade the circles because each one will be piece ofmy goals of my life time to achieve. The symbolson this bowl are very meaningful to me.BRAIDED CANDLELIGHT BOWLThe technique: I cut out circles to make the bottom. Then Irolled out three forms of the snake to begin braiding the clayand placed it around the circles. I braided a thicker ropearound the top edge of the bowl. I pressed it to stick on theedge of the bowl. Also I did the same technique for the insideof the bowl. Then I drew the circles onto the inner circle. Imade more cut outs and placed them against the wall of thebowl.The color of gold glaze symbolizes the golden glow of peaceand harmony. The deep blue glaze means communication.
8. This piece stands for peace, love and freedom. While Iwas making this I felt happy. It is a unique pattern andtexture. I loved making this design.The technique: I rolled out the heart shape slab then cutout three shapes. They are hearts around the outside ofthe design. I made the square in the corner. Then I alsomade the diamonds and placed them into the square. Irolled the shape of the snake and then I flattened thestrip and pressed down to stick.I’M PROUD TO BE ANAMERICANTHE LID TO THE SHAPE BOTTOM BOX
9. SPONGE PAINTED MUGI used pin tool to make the designs.Then I also use a paint brush as asponge to dab the glaze all over themug.Sponge Technique:I learned how to make the handle frommaking the form of rolling it out into asnake; the mug is 6 inches tall.My mind was flowing with creative ideas the one image cameto mind was a mug. The colors I wanted to have shades ofblue with red beautiful colors that I love for this piece.The Technique is sponge painting with a sponge like dabbingit all over the mug. Inside of the mug I used big and smallpaint brushes to brush paint the glaze. Then for the color I usethe drink PowerAde for the color ice blue. I did the feathertechnique for the sides of the mug that to me is unique.
10. BROKEN DOWN SAILBOAT How did I name this piece? This was a piece ofwooden sail boat that got stranded on thebeach. I love this artwork because I think it iswonderful. It is my imagination of my uniquestyle that I’ve done because I love working withdetails.The colors of my piece is royal blue, dark redwith the touch of gold that gives the shine.This is how I made it: I first took some clay then Irolled out a big slab of clay.I made the two sides of the boat first. Then Imade a half roll and flattened the sides with myhands sliding upward, downward, sidewaymotion to keep this part smooth to attach thetwo slabs together. It looks like a tree stump. Imade one side longer and the other shorter.Last I made the two barrels in one piece and Iput it all together like a puzzle.
11. CHERRY PICKINGThis was the year of 2003. I made my first ceramic piece. It was acherry tree along with cherry baskets and a little girl sitting underthe cherry tree (that little girl is me.) Also I made a ladder to thetree for the little girl to climb up and drop the cherries into the littlebaskets, then climb down the ladder and sit to have a break.The Technique:Step 1: I rolled out the clay and I took my plastic lid and cut out with mypin tool for a platform for the tree.Step 2: I made a tree stump and made a design of the tree like halfcircle. I designed the tree with the pin tool.Step 3: For the cherries I rolled little balls with my hands and then Iplaced them to stick onto the tree.Step 4: I designed the ladder rolling out a shape like a thick snake. ThenI flatten it out to hold the tree straight up also, I made four steps for theladder. I repeat the same technique for the steps.Step 5 Is to make the cherry baskets; I rolled a ball and I took my bothhands pulled it out about four inches to shape it like a basket.
12. LOST AND FOUND KEEPERPerfect to hold your: Keys, Cell Phones, Watch, Rings, Coins, or Wallet, etc.Technique:1st step I formed the base then used the rolling pin to roll it out at least about two inches tall and 5 inches wide.2nd step I drew the ribbon onto the clay then cut it out.3rd step I drew with my pin tool for the heart shape.4th step I did the 2nd and the 3rd steps for the other side to match the exact same thing.The 5th last step that I made was the handle. I took the clay and formed the shape of the arch to stick it onto thebottom base.
13. We had to face this horrible event. I was so shocked. It was really sad to me and I cried. It is soemotional what had happened. This piece is so valuable to me because I will look at it to remindmyself of who we are and how much I love being an American. I am so honored to make this piece. Isalute to the people who died on 911.I remember what happened when the airplanes crashed into the buildings in New York. They wereblowing up into pieces and burning down to the ground. Some people came out of the buildingsand survived and some died.SALUTE TO MEMORYOF 911
14. MY FAVORITE CROSSThe Technique:I roll the clay out into the form of the cross.Then I made the hole at the top of the piece.I made a second cross so I could stick them together so it looks real.I used a small garlic press to make the pattern at the end of the bottom.I love this piece. For me it is really meaningfull. I always keep this forever.I made this piece because I felt joyful, full of faith and also loved.
15. THE BLUE CANDLE HOUSEThis piece represents one of my buildings where I am from, around Detroit, Michigan.However I thought I wanted to give this piece to my sister Gigi for Christmas gift so shecan use it as a candle holder because it has six windows in one side and three openingsat the top. It is perfect for a beautiful candle light.
16. I made this square shape jar with uneven edges and putsome golden ceramic marbles attached to the bottom of it,representing a treasure.This piece can be placed on a small table where you can lookat it often. When you see it think about your goals of yourtomorrow. They are in this jar!DECORATIVE JAR
17. My creativeceramic designsJulieBelangerEnd Part1